JCM 800 Bass Series head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 800 Bass Series head

What do you guys think of this head? I know nothing about it.

Re: JCM 800 Bass Series head

I don't know about those, but the early/mid 90's 400w bass heads were pretty badass. Heavy, but badass.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

This is what he sent me as a descrition:

It's got 3 12ax7's in the preamp and 2 6550's in the power section just like the 2204. It has the vertical inputs which are more sought after than the horizontal type because the inputs and pots are all handwired in these. This is a very well made amp that is pretty rare and sounds awesome.

It's the JCM 800 version of the model 1986 Super Bass. In fact it is still labeled as the 1986.

Comment

Also, what do you think this is worth? I may be trading my Edwards SG for it.

Comment

Depends on what kind of music you play I guess, I have never heard one. But I have heard Bass amps with guitars running through them sound great.

And many guitarists who play "Stoner Rock" run through bass heads.

EDIT: I also know adam jones(of tool) back in the earlier days ran his rig through a marsahll bass head, his tone isn't bad.
          Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
          Thats what I like to hear. Family massacre heavy.

Comment

Are you planning on using it as a bass amp? 50w would probably suck for that- no headroom. If you're planning on using it as a guitar amp, get ready to be loud- it shoudn't have a master volume.
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            I'm a good sex man.

Comment

I would be using this as a guitar amp. I'm a big fan of guitars played through tubed bass amps. I just don't know what to expect out of 6550 tubes.

Comment

This is it.

Comment

Originally posted by big_black
                  I'm a big fan of guitars played through tubed bass amps. I just don't know what to expect out of 6550 tubes.
                  A lot of headroom!
                  I'm a good sex man.

Comment

If it sounds anything like an early 70's metalpanel Super Bass, it's something you want.
                    I think that Marshall is a great buy! The seller is even going to install a new logo before he ships it. With the power section modded back to EL-34's, I'll bet that amp would kill an average JCM800 2204.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Dude, go for it. That would be killer... then if you want get it retubed for EL-34's. IIRC, Christian once told me that the JMP bass heads were plexi's with added bass, so you could dial it out too... I actually almost bought one before I got my Sound City.
                      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

If you think about it, regular master volume 50 watter sound a bit thin sometimes. I'll bet this amp will have the classic guitar amp sound, but have a much broader sound.
                        I'd still retube it with EL-34's, just so it isn't so clean. $650 is a great price for that amp, since they often go for over $1000.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I had a 100w JCM800 bass head for a while in the 80s when I was playing bass.

The EQ controls were not like the standard guitar amp Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence. That amp looks the same - the knobs are Slope, Bass, Middle, Mid Shift, Treble and Volume (I think). If I remember correctly the Mid Shift allows you to adjust the frequency the Middle knob works on - like a parametric EQ. I think the Slope inhibits boomy frequencies at high volumes. I bought mine used (no manual) and wrote to Marshall for an explanation of how the controls worked (no internet either). I may still have their letter at home.

I'm not saying any of this would be a problem - just adding it for info.
                          Last edited by Simon_F; 10-14-2005, 04:37 AM.

Comment

that should be pretty easy to convert to lead specs (just changing a few component values on the board), you see loads of superbass amps that have been converted to superleads. in fact, i wouldnt even call it a conversion, the amps are that similar.
                            Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                            Marshall Mods

Comment

Working...
                            X