No announcement yet.

Using an attenuator and a volume boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an attenuator and a volume boost?

If you use an attenuator with a tube amp, can you still get a volume boost by putting an EQ pedal in the effects loop or by changing channels? Or does the attenuator compress the output of the amp in such a way as to prevent the volume increase?

Re: Using an attenuator and a volume boost?

you can do that all day long...an attenuator does not change the way an amp works or sounds...it just brings the over all lever down. You'll be fine.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I would have thought it would attenuate the overall o/p. If your 2 channels are aet at different volumes or you boost it, it's still going to be the same just quieter overall. That's what I reckon anyway!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Are you asking: If you have an attenuator hooked up to the amp & THEN hit a pedal (boost, EQ...whatever), will the volume level rise???

I don't think so, but I can try it out for you if you want.....You'll probably "hear" the pedal in your tone, but the volume will remain the same.

I think.............
        Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 10-16-2005, 10:50 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

If you saturate the amp and attenuate it, then the volume boost will definitely lose its effectiveness.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Yes, the more you attenuate the less of a volume boost you will get. If i set the attenuation to almost max, even upping the volume of my laney from say 3-5 wont be much louder at all. So basically it will compress the volume changes more at higher levels of attenuation. It will work, but it wont be as noticable.
            Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
            Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
            Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
            Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
            Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

The only way that I know you can achieve a volume boost with a saturated power amp section would be to use the attenuator as a load box (my hotplate can be used this way). Go from the line level out to a power amp with alot of clean headroom. In between the load box and the power amp you put your volume and it will raise the volume as long as the power amp is not being saturated too much. This is off topic but I have read that the best place to put a flanger, phaser, or delay is between the load box and the power amp. I am pretty sure this is where Van Halen used his phaser to get his famous sound.
              Voodoo Amps 50 and 100 watt V-Plex heads
              Voodoo Amps Texas Heat 1x12 combo
              Longhorn Amps "The Barn Owl" 1x12 combo
              1981 JCM 800 2204 Head
              1984 (Bogner Modified) JCM 800 4103 2X12 Combo
              ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with WCR Cherrybucker Set
              ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 60
              ESP Viper Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 85
              ESP Esquire Custom Shop (Jeff Beck)
              Gibson SG Standard with WCR American Steele Set

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess it depends on the two factors - how far you saturate the power amp and how much attenuation you apply. Hitting a saturated power amp with a boost must be akin to hitting a a saturated pre-amp with a boost - i.e. you get more gain rather than more volume. So as you turn up the power amp, the less effective the volume boost will be. But there must be a sweet spot where you're driving the power amp for crunchy rhythm, but can still get a slight volume increase with the boost. Sorry, I'm rambling here.

I'm just thinking it all through as I'm gassing for an attenuator to use with my Jubilee.

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                  Are you asking: If you have an attenuator hooked up to the amp & THEN hit a pedal (boost, EQ...whatever), will the volume level rise???
                  Terry,

Yes - In the past I've used a Boss GE-7 in the loop of my Jubilee to get a volume boost for solos. I was wondering whether this method would still be effective when using an attenuator too.

I guess it depends how hard you're working the power amp before you apply the boost.

I am mainly using the TM-60 with its handy little clean boost currently, but it's a sin to have this Jubilee sitting around idle.

Simon

Comment

Yeah, you got that right Simon!

I normally use a wah...OD...EQ...amp.

I use the EQ as a mid boost & then hit the OD for leads.

Without the MASS running, of course it works great.....but with the MASS running, the volume is negligable. The tone changes, but the volume level stays basically the same.

FWIW...the MASS didn't get along with my Splawn & was a little better with the Marshall. I know Stevo used a MASS with his Plexi & likes it....maybe I didn't find the right "spot".

The MASS is a great unit & you get a lot of options with the lower cost, but it sounds like that Dr. Z might be a very good unit.

Good luck & crank that Jubilee UP !!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                    X