banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats an inexpensive tube amp thats worth geting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats an inexpensive tube amp thats worth geting?

Hey everyone I like hendrix-Van halen and in the market to by a tube amp, now i know they are all preety much expensive but I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions for rock,funk, heavy rock kind of sound? basically whats the most I can get for my money?

Re: Whats an inexpensive tube amp thats worth geting?

Let's start off like this...

-How much power do you need
    -Head+cab or combo
    -How much money can you spend
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      Let's start off like this...

-How much power do you need
      -Head+cab or combo
      -How much money can you spend

Comment

ok ok, well from about max $1000, power well i have a band and we have a drummer and bass player and I sing and play guitar (3 part band) so I guess around 30-40 watts min.

Comment

bro, $1000.00 will get you a damn fine amp IMO...let me ask this. what kind of music do you play?
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

haha, to be honest I don't want to spend that but you know, you see when ever i go somewhere i use someone elses tube amp to perform but to be honest im sick of that because of there settings ect... so i just need a tube amp that can handle what i play which is (my own thing but to give you an idea) i have one funk song one blues song, and everything else is basically like van halen's brown sound i guess, heavy to classic rock. Hope this helps ( i know its vast but so is my music)

Ps: i have a s*&% load of pedals I use

Comment

well...you said you have played through several "borrowed" amps...what amps did you like and what amps did you not like?

Right now I would say look at a good Fender combo or something along those lines. As for getting "the brown sound" there are guys that have spent thousands of dollard and still aren't even close. Also...what kinds of pedals do you use? Are you wanting a 1 or 2 or? channel amp? Channel switching? Do you want to use a pedal for crunch?

Comment

well i cant really rememeber what I didnt like but i liked a marshall a fender and a mesa(or someting) boogie amp was good. As far as the brown sound Im not saying im looking Im saying Im preety close (to give you an idea of my own sound) when i used the amps i liked(its mostly in the pickup IMO.) Anyway as far as crunch yea I use my pedals for crunch but I herd that the best sound is directly form your amp ( idk just was told) I use mostly boss pedals (like 7 bro, i know i know) and a tube screamer a whammy digi, a vox wah and a ernie volume pedal. but dont worry about the pedals i experiment with them really Im not marriade to them so any suggestions are cool haha. Thank you by the way
                ::::::never used channel amp, not certain what that can do?

Comment

like I said...for $1000.00 you could get into a lot of sifferent things.

there are various Fender amps that can be had used for that or less, a few Marshalls, several Mesa's, the new Crates are getting rave reviews, the Vox AC-30 CC can be had new for less than $1000.00, IMO that is a good bit of money to buy an amp with and leaves the door open for several things. look all over Ebay and see what you find!

Comment

on more thing, watts actuallt dont matter I played a blues jr and it was like 15-20 watts tops and it was loud enough for me

Comment

thanx man, but in your opinion with everything you suggested which one would you get given my setup ect...

Comment

I would look at one of the "Pro Tube Series" Fender amps, they all had a gain channel that you can use to get crunch with no pedals as well as built in reverb.

Twin-100 watts 2x12
                        Pro-50 watts 2x12
                        Concert-50 watts 4x10

You could also look at some of the vintag reissue Fende amps
                        -Super
                        -Deluxe
                        -Twin
                        -Tweed Bassman

To be honest, those Pro Tube Series Fenders are damn fine amps and can be had for a great price if you look around. If you liked the Bluse Jr. you might also look at the Hot Rod series...there are several amps fender has that are damn good amps for a very little bit of money.

Comment

thank alot man, I was leaning towards a Fender because of a friends suggestion, now i think ill get one haha

Comment

Originally posted by unleashthejay
                            thank alot man, I was leaning towards a Fender because of a friends suggestion, now i think ill get one haha

Good luck...do a search on the forum and you will find lots of info in gereral. feel free to ask more questions!

Comment

wait..a vox AC 30 cc can be bought new under 1 grand?!??!
                              Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                              X