Play Through More than One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play Through More than One

I'm a 6L6 guy, I always have been. Specifically, a Boogie devotee.

I use my Rectoverb most of the time for the channel switching, but it's a compromise. I forget how much I love my Mark IIA until I have the chance to sit down with it, crank it up, and go through all of its tones. It's not the version, the Mark IIC+ version is generally a much better amp, it's this particular amp.

It was made made in '79. It has noisey channel switching and the reverb is spotty, at best. Even with that, the amp just screams with harmonically rich tones in the gain channel like no other amp that I've ever owned. I've searched for something that will outdo it, but I haven't found it yet. I've played through a ton of different stuff, but I haven't found one that can compete with this amp.

I tell you this to encourage you to make an amp purchase more like a guitar purchase. If you assume that all the amps made in the same year, the same series, from the same manufacturer, etc., are just alike, think again. Play through more than one, as many as you can, to find the one that you like the best. To my ears, there are some that are just head-and-shoulders better than the others that seem to be just like it.
    Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Re: Play Through More than One

+100000
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

You're saying that a guy shouldn't simply buy a DRRI online, he should actually go to a store and play several DRRI's and pick the best one. Not all DRRI vs DRRI, SR VS SR, Bassmans Vs. Bassman, etc. sound alike? One might sound better than the another!?
      Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
        You're saying that a guy shouldn't simply buy a DRRI online, he should actually go to a store and play several DRRI's and pick the best one. Not all DRRI vs DRRI, SR VS SR, Bassmans Vs. Bassman, etc. sound alike? One might sound better than the another!?
        yep, thats what he's saying.....i find it to hold true as well... i remember having 2 blonde 60s bassman heads and 2x12 cabs in front of me at guitar center......one sounded great, and the other was just awful
        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
        >cord<
        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I think this has always been the case...some amp brands moreso than others. Marshalls for example... especially the NMVs...all of them sound pretty good, but a smaller percentage are the tone gawds. Some of the best "stock" ones I've heard on average have been the SuperBass models and 1987s...better to my ears than most of the Superleads I've tried (again stock). Can't just grab one based on the name/model.

Another thing is speaker break in....takes awhile and those amps in the store prolly sound better than one you would buy online (assuming it's been cared for) at first cos they have been played quite a bit already.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

This is so true, definitely something I have experienced myself. It all boils down to the tolerance of the parts. Two amps of the same make and model may have the same spec'd value parts in them, but those parts can vary in their actual value by +/- 5% to 10%. It may not seem like a lot but when it comes to high voltage signals in tube amps, it can mean the difference between a gem and a dog.

Comment

I think it's really important to try something out before you buy it. I can't see how that is anything other than common sense.

I've owned at least 5 Marshall JMP MV series amps, each one was very different from each other. I've had friends who have had identical amps that sounded completely different. Buying a guitar with a hand shaped neck sight unseen is ludicrous.

You're the consumer, you're paying to get the item you want, not what the dealer is willing to send you.
              *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
              Originally posted by Slash2987
              Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
              Originally posted by PVFan
              I'm a good sex man.
              Originally posted by Grumpy
              I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

EDIT: For the sake of discussion...

Don't amps do go through a tonal QC check? OR circuit QC before the amps are shipped for sale. Doesn't Fender (insert amp maker here) have some mechanism to catch the dog's to make sure that the differences between amps are minimal?

Nevertheless, Try before you buy.
                Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Don't amps do go through a tonal QC check? OR circuit QC before the amps are shipped for sale. Doesn't Fender (insert amp maker here) have some mechanism to catch the dog's to make sure that the differences between amps are minimal?

What may be a dog to one may be a gem to another. Remember, tone is in the ear of the listener much like beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I'd doubt it, they're probably checked to make sure they work, but "working" and "working for you" are entirely different things.
                    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                    Originally posted by Slash2987
                    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                    Originally posted by PVFan
                    I'm a good sex man.
                    Originally posted by Grumpy
                    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                      What may be a dog to one may be a gem to another. Remember, tone is in the ear of the listener much like beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
                      The more beer you drink before you test an amp will make the amp more beautiful? how many beers do you recommend before amp shopping assuming you have designated driver to drive you around?
                      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

+/- 10% tolerance on componants and different tubes can lead to alot of variation.

i dont buy any guitar or amp online. if i cant play it first, i dont want it. the only exception is the 5e3 i got from scott, but i trust his ears, so much so i might have a second celtic amp soon. i even tried out four crate power blocks before i bought one, didnt hear a bit of difference but ya never know.

Comment

The more beer you drink before you test an amp will make the amp more beautiful? how many beers do you recommend before amp shopping assuming you have designated driver to drive you around?
                          Start with 3 just to loosen up a little. That way you can still distinquish a good tone and not spend all your money on some POS. Now, if you decide to go shopping after a 12 pack, you may end up walking out with a 15 watt 8" speaker combo thinking you just purchased the answer to all your 100 watt stack problems.

Comment

For the sake of arguement: You apply this even to Bogner, Komet, Dr. Z, Fargen? You would never try one these before buying?
                            Last edited by Guitar Toad; 10-17-2005, 10:43 AM.
                            -Conrad Hilton

Comment

To me, it doesn't matter which amp company we're talking about, boutique or otherwise. I want to hear it before I buy it because "identical" amps can sound completely different from each other.

As for QC, I'm sure that they all have a range of tolerance. Some will be at the bottom of the acceptable range, some will far exceed it. If possible, I want to find the amp that exceeds just the acceptable level. As others have mentioned, tone is a subjective thing, and I'm looking for the one that makes my ears go crazy with delight.
                              Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X