banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would a professional checkup on an amp cost??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would a professional checkup on an amp cost??

I got my deville from ebay a year ago exactly and I always wanted to take it to a good amp shop to take a look at it and make sure everythin is working fine and then talk over tones I want from it and see what tubes could be changed..

my overall question is do you know if theres any certain price one would pay to have an amp checked out.. the chassis,tubes, speakers etc..

just to make sure everythings working fine. i figure itd be good to do this and keep my amp tip top shape.

good thing is i just found a fender authorized amp service center a mile from my house

thanks

Re: How much would a professional checkup on an amp cost??

About $100 just for the checkup.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What amp is it, what kind of music do you play, and what do you want to make it sound perfect?

If it's a tube amp, a local tech will charge you full retail on average tubes, and bias it.
      It's better to pay less for premium tubes, THEN take it in, and have it rebiased for $35.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

We charge $93 flat (plus parts) to go through an amp. This includes checking all tubes, cleaning the pots, repairing bad solder connections, checking the bias. In amps older than 20 yrs, we actually check each and every component for tolerance issues.

GJ's right, it's usually better to get your own tubes and bring them in. I, like most shops, aren't large enough to get the killer mass quantity discounts that GC does. I always tell my customers this, and most appreciate it. Every once in awhile, situations come up where I have the only set of matched tubes in Houston, but we don't "gouge" customers on sales. Sadly, this is usually more expensive than what GC charges....they can buy and sell tubes for cheaper than even I can get them for....

Jeff Seal
        ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
        www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Seal
          We charge $93 flat (plus parts) to go through an amp. This includes checking all tubes, cleaning the pots, repairing bad solder connections, checking the bias. In amps older than 20 yrs, we actually check each and every component for tolerance issues.

GJ's right, it's usually better to get your own tubes and bring them in. I, like most shops, aren't large enough to get the killer mass quantity discounts that GC does. I always tell my customers this, and most appreciate it. Every once in awhile, situations come up where I have the only set of matched tubes in Houston, but we don't "gouge" customers on sales. Sadly, this is usually more expensive than what GC charges....they can buy and sell tubes for cheaper than even I can get them for....

Jeff Seal
          After hearing you talk amps and stuff, I'd rather take something to you and have you do it right for a higher price, than take it to the hacks at GC and let those hacks break it for less...

Same deal here with Long and McQuade. (The GC of Canada)
          www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79
            After hearing you talk amps and stuff, I'd rather take something to you and have you do it right for a higher price, than take it to the hacks at GC and let those hacks break it for less...

Same deal here with Long and McQuade. (The GC of Canada)
            That's the deal, IMO. If you're all about price, you take it to someone you don't know who's cheap and hope for the best. If you want a better chance of positive results, you take it to guys who you know you can trust. Not just with an amp, but with just about anything that you need to have repaired or maintained.

If someone screws up your electric can-opener, no big deal. If a guy screws up your amp or your car, for example, much bigger deal. I prefer to pay a little more for a known commodity on the important stuff.
            Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

I really do apreciate the kudos, and I'm continuously "humbled".....

Like most here, I just want my gear to work!.....even my stuff doesn't fail until I get to the gig!........figures

Jeff Seal
              ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
              www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Working...
              X