banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this tube package sound good for a hrd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this tube package sound good for a hrd?

Fender HRD full retube kit
    PRICE: 55.50
    DESC: A matched pair of the JJ 6L6GC's for a big warm tone along with three JJ ECC83S's with one balanced for the phase inverter in V3. These will reduce the harsh mids, the brittle highs and make the drive channel much more usable.

From eurotubes.com

-----------------------------

I want a way to retain the clarity of the fender on its cleans but make the drive more usable..

people have recommended a 12AU7 for the pre-amp as well

Re: Does this tube package sound good for a hrd?

You really can't go wrong with the JJ's. Or rather, There better that the stock GT/sovtech's. In my HRD I have a pair of old GE 6L6's (on there last leg)
    Biased at 68mv. When they croak I imagine I'll go with JJ's. I know a lot of
    guys on TFF forum that use a 12AU7 in V2. The 12AU7 is a lower gain tube
    and it's suposed to smooth thing out. I've never tryed it, But i guess it would
    help.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Re: Does this tube package sound good for a hrd?

I really doubt that it will make the drive channel more usable- it is the way it is because of the way it was designed, not becase of the tubes- I find the drive channel really touchy in these HRD. The only real way to calm the drive channel down would be to put a lower gain tube in V1and V2, and even then it may not do enough. why they don't use a an audio taper pot is beyond me. BUt, I have only heard good things about Bob at Eurotubes- 55 bucks is very reasonable for a complete set of matched tubes. I also have become a convet for balanced PI tubes.
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Working...
      X