Marshall DSL401 vs. Peavey Classic 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL401 vs. Peavey Classic 30

How would you compare/contrast these amps? I have an SG Standard with '59's and I'm playing lots of Zep/Cream/ZZ Top. Really looking for that warm, fat CRUNCH.
    --------------------------------
    Gibson '57 Historic Les Paul
    Traynor Blue YCV50
    Peavey Classic 20 (FOR SALE)

"Say hello to my lil' friend!!!!!!!!"

Re: Marshall DSL401 vs. Peavey Classic 30

The 401 will out crunch the Classic 30. But pre-mid 2003 401's had some reliability issues. the Classic 30 is usually rock-solid. Some people are revisiting the 401 after the fix from Marshall.

It is hard to beat the Classic 30 as a hard/classic rock amp. You can re-tube it with high-gain tubes, and change the speaker to suit your tastes.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

WHat kind of speaker do you recommend? A Celestion? Do they make that much of a diff. in sound?
      Traynor Blue YCV50

Comment

Originally posted by jonnymangia
        WHat kind of speaker do you recommend? A Celestion? Do they make that much of a diff. in sound?
        They make a great difference in the sound. No, they won't turn a Marshall into a Fender, or vice-versa, but they do greatly affect the sound.

Your ears are different than mine, and really there are too many speakers that are "just a little bit" different that would work in that amp.

If it were me, I would go with an Eminence Governor or an Eminence Wizard or a Celestion V30. I would have to live with the amp a bit to make my decision.

If it is a used amp, or an amp that is at least 2 years old, I would retube it also.

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

If you're looking for a Zep/Cream type crunch, I'd stick with the marshall...
          If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
          DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Marshall dls401 I dont like the loose bottom end on the peavey's they are good for low to mid gain work but are not very tight, they have a lot of mids which kinda of compromises the cleans.
            PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
            1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
            Blackstar HT-5
            2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
            Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I own a 2001 model DSL 401.

The clean gain starts to distort at 4 onwards. So heard from the experts, you needa change the preamp tubes to something else that would help in the clean going further so you can turn the amp louder with a good loud gain than sticking with 2-3.

It gets real hot after awhile of playing, so I installed a heat sink on the tubes and stop playing after about 2 hrs and let the thing rest before I continue again.
              Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
              Gibson 1959 reissue
              Gibson 1960 reissue
              Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Does the DSL 401 have seperate EQs? My only gripe with the C30 is the shared EQ. I don't want my cleans to just be a less gainy version of my dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by itbepopples
                  Does the DSL 401 have seperate EQs? My only gripe with the C30 is the shared EQ. I don't want my cleans to just be a less gainy version of my dirty.
                  Yes, it has seperate Eq's.

Comment

I wasn't happy with my DSL 401. Better off with a used JCM800 combo

Comment

I've had a Classic 30 and I currently use a 401.

The Classic 30 had great cleans and sounded fantastic when overdriven... I loved the blues tones I could get out of it - both clean and dirty. Never really tried it for rock.

I've been using the 401 for a few years now. I'd say that the cleans are just disappointing. The OD channels pretty good, but I've heard better. I'm content with this at the moment, but I think I'll always prefer the Classic 30.

In terms of directly contrasting them, I always thought of the classic 30 as Peavey's take on the fender tone. And the marshall... is a marshall. i'd use the classic 30 for the cleaner stuff, and the marshall for the higher gain stuff.

Hope that helped.

Comment

I own a Classic 30 and it is killer.... Got it for cheap used and it has proven to be a great portable loud amp that covers me in at jams and practices... Neat tool! I prefer the Marshall combos gain over the Classic 30.... But i paid such a good price for a used C30 the Marshall seems so expensive..

Comment

I think the DSL401 cleans are pretty disapointing as well. I have an SG Standard...you think I can dial in The Who/Live at Leeds, Cream, early ZZ Top tones with the Classic 30? Whe you guys mentioned it being similar to a Fender I immediately think it's more suited for cleans than dirt. I've also coma across another Marshall combo, albeit an older one - the JCM800. Is that a metal amp or are the cleans better?
                          Traynor Blue YCV50

Comment

I think the DSL401 cleans are pretty disapointing as well. I have an SG Standard...you think I can dial in The Who/Live at Leeds, Cream, early ZZ Top tones with the Classic 30? Whe you guys mentioned it being similar to a Fender I immediately think it's more suited for cleans than dirt. I've also coma across another Marshall combo, albeit an older one - the JCM800. Is that a metal amp or are the cleans better?
                            The C30 does work well with Gibson style guitars for sure!!!! When i add a closed back ext cab it really helps get closer to that Live At Leeds tone.... My Classic 50 head and 5150 cab has a slightly better Live At Leeds style tone, But my Classic 30 combo is more portable..

WhoFan

Comment

I have a JCM800 4211 Combo. It has a clean channel, but not really good- this amp thrives on the overdrive channel

Comment

Working...
                              X