So I called Rivera Amps......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I called Rivera Amps......

due to the fact that when I'm on the "American" channel of my Chubster 40, the volume actually starts to decrease once the pre gets up to '6' (with the master on 10). I'm using this approach in an attempt to sustain the clean as much as possible since this channel just can't keep up in a gig scenario.

According to Rivera, the magnet is too small on the stock speaker and as per their recommendation, replaced it with a Celestion V30 (pulled from my Avatar 2X12). The V30 in the Avatar was replaced with G12H30 (as this is reputed to be quite the combo).

I'm curious to see what effect this has on the Rivera. It's the perfect little amp if I can get that little bit of extra headroom....and it's not alot that I need. Just a smidge.

I'm headed to a gig now.....and will keep you all posted.
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Re: So I called Rivera Amps......

I'd guess that a 60 watt speaker would be a good match, power wise, for that amp - should give you just enough clean headroom, and still break up nicely.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Get Eric Sardinas to sort it out
      PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
      DAW: Nuendo
      Noise: 5150
      Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
        I'd guess that a 60 watt speaker would be a good match, power wise, for that amp - should give you just enough clean headroom, and still break up nicely.
        That's what I'm thinking....40 watts of EL34 power should work great against that speaker. It's been lacking the clean push it should have....hence the phone call to Rivera.

I didn't get to try the amp out tonite.....6 bands were playing original music (6songs each) at a benefit and we all to share equipment. I did get to play a Fender Deluxe which was fun, and used my newly Keely modded Sparkle Drive against it which sounded really great. And I dig that little blue light.
        various pedals

Comment

definitely keep us posted as to how the V30 works out!
          Originally posted by jeremy
          God hates bad guitar tone
          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

FWIW, I bought a Hamer Artist from a forum member, Davidd, a while ago.

He told me he used a Chubster 40 for gigging, and got 3 good tones from the amp just using the footswitch, and that he didn't really have to use a pedal with that amp.

sounds like a good amp for gigs in fairly portable package
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
              FWIW, I bought a Hamer Artist from a forum member, Davidd, a while ago.

He told me he used a Chubster 40 for gigging, and got 3 good tones from the amp just using the footswitch, and that he didn't really have to use a pedal with that amp.

sounds like a good amp for gigs in fairly portable package
              If I can get the clean volume up a smidge, the amp will be pretty much what I want.....a hot rodded Marshall gain with a Fenderesque clean that I can carry with one hand.
              various pedals

Comment

I'd be interested in the results too.I've heard nothing but good thing about that upgrade to that amp.

Comment

Working...
                X