way to kill feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• way to kill feedback

Lately i have been having a problem with my amp, as it gives off a lot of hiss hum and feedback. I have been looking into trying to do something to get rid of it, but i dont know what to do. Right now i am putting my carvin through a marshall avt 50 and i normally put tons of gain on the channels.

I am one of those people who believes in using a staight setup like guitar through a cable to amp, and so i really dont want to add a noise gate to my rig. But i was wondering, could replacing the speakers solve my problem?

I'm sure many of you may of had this problem, and just so you know i do mute the strings and face away from my amp when i play.

Any info or suggestions are welcome, thank you in advance.

Re: way to kill feedback

turn down the gain.
    ~kac
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

This will mess with your tone but it does work also, is turning down the treble on your guitar. It usually doesn't take much turning down to resolve the issue but it works for me.
      Guitars
      Fender American Standard Strat(US)
      w/ Seymour Duncan Hotrail neck, Fullsize JB in Bridge
      Cort MGM-1 sig. model
      w/ EMG 81 bridge, EMG 85 neck (pwnd)
      Amps
      Line 6 Spider II 150 watt 2x12 combo

Comment

It might be that your pickups are too microphonic. I had that problem in an old Aria: they'd howl like the Wolfman under a full moon. The other possibility is a microphonic preamp tube.

If switching guitars fixes the problem, it's probably the pickups. If not, it's probably a tube.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
        My Music

Comment

Maybe try some different pre-amp tubes.
          Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
          Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
          Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
          Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
          Fender Frontman 15g
          Cry Baby
          Boss DS-2
          Boss CE-3
          Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

When you say "feedback", what do you mean? Is it feedback from an open or fretted string, or is it coming from somewhere else? Can you describe it?
            Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

no dude, its not feedback made by anything im doing. I mute the strings and the thing still howls like a *****. Switching pre amp tubes might help. Any recomendations. The feedback is pretty high pitched, and occurs with all guitars, certain ones more than others, but it is most definitely the amp causing the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Shredhead7
                no dude, its not feedback made by anything im doing. I mute the strings and the thing still howls like a *****. Switching pre amp tubes might help. Any recomendations. The feedback is pretty high pitched, and occurs with all guitars, certain ones more than others, but it is most definitely the amp causing the feedback.
                This has to be tubes.... My Classic 50 i retubed and fired it up... i used new Russian tubes in it... It was screaming like crazy.. right out of the package i had a bad tube... The Preamp tubes are most likely the source of your trouble...

WhoFan

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan
                  This has to be tubes.... My Classic 50 i retubed and fired it up... i used new Russian tubes in it... It was screaming like crazy.. right out of the package i had a bad tube... The Preamp tubes are most likely the source of your trouble...

WhoFan
                  Yep, I agree. It's a preamp tube, more than likely.
                  Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X