Tubes Glowing differently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes Glowing differently

I was playing today and noticed that my tubes are glowing different colors.

The first power tube glows a bright yellow, while the second is glowing a slightly dimmer and orange. Is this a bad sign? The tone seems the same, but I dont have my amp 3 months ago to test against so I cant be but so sure.

They are relativly new (1 year, moderate use at bedroom levels) GT's with a rating of 10 (if anyone cares to explain that one)

Re: Tubes Glowing differently

1st thing I would do. (with the amp OFF and tubes cool) Swap the tubes to each other's socket. If the orange tube is still orange in the other socket? It may just be a bad tube? If the original yellow tube turns orange in that socket? Then the amp may have a problem. Time to take it to a Tech.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Might just be the angle they are at. As typically the tubes seem to be rotated in position compared to the other and you can't see any of the blue on one or the other.

Comment

I was switching the tubes out and I noticed think I found the problem..

this explination is going to be in less than technical terms to say the least. It looks like there is a thin rectangular metal housing around the central section of the tube that surrounds the two little rod like things (that actually glow). This little peice of housing seems to have moved down mabey a mm or two on one, causing the two rods to be more visible. funny how such a small difference in makeup can change the color so much.

Thanks for the help, if I hadn't changed their sockets I never would have giving them such a close look.

Comment

Are blue glows normal?

Ive always wondered this...

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
            Are blue glows normal?

Ive always wondered this...
            Yes.

Comment

Working...