Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Big Muff (interesting pics).....

Bought it used for ~$102USD.....

After playing it for a bit I noticed that it wasn't as agressive as all the other Muff's I've tried. It had a much smoother tone to it and didn't mush out as much on palm mutes, so I bought it, brought it home, and opened it up.....

It seems it's a version I Big Muff Pi inside an early version III housing.

The VerI Muffs (EH-3003) are commonly called "Triangle Muffs", VerII (EH-3034) are the "Rams Head" Muffs, and VerIII (EH-1322) are the last original version before the re-issues......but EH is known for mixing an matching with whatever happened to be in stock.

I haven't figured out if this pedal happened because someone re-housed an early Muff circuit inside a latter Muff's housing, or if it's because EHX had run out of current PCBs and had some old 3003 circuits lying around and decided to stick them into something; but, to the best that I can tell it appears to be a VerI EH-3003 PCB with VerII "Rams Head" transistors and stuck inside a VerIII housing...

...wierd.

This one's been modded anyway. That black thing on the lower left of the circuit appears to be a filter cap that someone installed to eliminate power line hum. I don't know what other mods may have been made yet....
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: My Big Muff (interesting pics).....

I don't know a heck of a lot about the Big Muffs, but I've owned a few "back in the day." The kind that your housing is are the ones I liked. It was interesting to me how every single unit sounded unique.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

How are Big Muffs for that David Gilmour sound?

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan
        How are Big Muffs for that David Gilmour sound?
        Depends on which one you own, seriously EVERY big muff EHX turned out had abit of a different sound. You could go through a line of them and hate four then like one etc...
        Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
        Thats what I like to hear. Family massacre heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
          I don't know a heck of a lot about the Big Muffs, but I've owned a few "back in the day." The kind that your housing is are the ones I liked. It was interesting to me how every single unit sounded unique.
          Yeah...I've owned three and played a couple more and all of them sound different.

This one here has the least gain of the one's I've played, but it is by far the smoothest, and is capable of being used as a really dirty OD with the guitar's volume turned down. It's also the one that holds the bottom together the best with bass as it stays thick without loosing it's definition.

I have a late 70s Little Big Muff that's way more aggressive sounding....with bass I use the Muff above for my main distortion sound and the LBM for over-the-top fuzz moments.

Comment

I sort of with EHX would up the quality on their pedals. While they sound awesome, when I open em up, the worksmanship is quite lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy

I have a late 70s Little Big Muff that's way more aggressive sounding....with bass I use the Muff above for my main distortion sound and the LBM for over-the-top fuzz moments.
              I also had one of those little Muff Fuzz things... it never really worked for any period of time. I remember having that in that really short period of time that I had the Hiwatt- the Hiwatt worked, the Muff Fuzz didn't, but I had the Muff Fuzz for much longer.
              *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
              Originally posted by Slash2987
              Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
              Originally posted by PVFan
              I'm a good sex man.
              Originally posted by Grumpy
              I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
                I also had one of those little Muff Fuzz things... it never really worked for any period of time. I remember having that in that really short period of time that I had the Hiwatt- the Hiwatt worked, the Muff Fuzz didn't, but I had the Muff Fuzz for much longer.
                Yeah, because the Little Big Muff doesn't have a tone knob (just a hicut/lowcut switch) it's tonally kinda limited, and it either works or it doesn't for you.

I'm thinking of getting the tone circuit modded; I want to remove the resistors that are hardwired to the switch and replace them with trimpots so I can set the hicut and lowcut at the point where I want them. I think that would improve the tone/usability greatly.

Comment

Working...
                X