Modeller Shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeller Shootout

Here's a nice article directly comparing the top modellers in the biz...of course..one person's opinion...but very detailed and informative nonetheless (surprising results for a couple as well).

http://www.thestompbox.net/Home/View...x?ArticleID=21
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Modeller Shootout

They didn't include the VG-88. Bah!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Sorry Ben, maybe I should have said "most popular" instead of "top"
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

i am using a GT-Pro, so a lot of his concerns about the GT8 are solved. it has a software editor, and it is easier to control from the front panel.
        i gotta say- this box is deep. with today's plug-and-play mentality, i think it would be a hard sell to most guitarists. the sound is awesome though, and i am one of the weird ones that actually likes tweaking for hours.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm still waiting to see what Vox does next. I don't know why they don't have a Tonelab Pro rackmount version??? I hope this year at NAMM Vox unveils a new superior unit. I wonder if L6 will continue to ride on their current XT, or if they'll have a Vetta III and POD Pro XT 2, or something.

I'm happy with my Vox Valvetronix AD60 head, but as soon as a modeler comes out that blows me away completely, I'll be all over it.
          As much as I love tube amps, I'm very open to modeling technology!
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've got the V-Amp Pro. The amp models sound pretty good but the effects are almost useless and I wouldn't use it live because I can't switch between channels. I don't want to buy the footcontroller, program it, and still have the delay.

Comment

Man, now I want a GT-Pro. Thanks a lot Mincer. I already wanted the GT-8 to replace my GT6, but the Pro is soooo much cooler!

Comment

well, the GT8 does everything the pro does, except it loses some connections, effects loops, the computer edior (although Roland is fixing that), and the d/a converters on the Pro are a bit better...
                For me, I like that it is in a rack...and easier to interface with the rest of my gear.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Here's another look at his results. If you assign a numeric value to each of his subjective terms (fair= 1, good=2, great=3, excellent=4), add the results of each of the four categories and then divide by price, you can sort of work out a quanitifed expression of (his opinion) of the bang-for-buckedness of each piece.

Here's how that works out:

VAP: 0.04
                  GT8: 0.022
                  GNX3K: 0.034
                  XTL: 0.028
                  TLSE: 0.016

The V-Amp, because of its insanely low price, comes out as the definitive bang for buck winner, but the Digitech's very high scores in all four categories almost manage to completely balance out its higher price.
                  ---------------------------
                  The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Hopefuly Boss will have made the GT-8 more PC friendly by the time I can afford one!!!

Originally posted by Mincer
                    and i am one of the weird ones that actually likes tweaking for hours.
                    For some reason I enjoy a bit of tweaking too... Maybe when you nail a sweet tone it is more rewarding, 'cause it feels like you've worked for it!
                    Danny Jenkins
                    Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
                    motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

Not me..I hate tweaking....mainly because it's never ending with the damn things..

That said... I have a VOX Tonelab SE on the way to run into the Atomic just to make sure it's the POD XTL I'm not liking, and not the Atomic itself.

ToneLab doesn't get great scores on that fellows test for sure...but I don't need most of the features that caused it's score to drop. I need a handful of decent Marshall-esque tones and effects.

We'll see

Comment

Working...
                      X