Silvertone Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone Mods

Well, I'm getting a little bored of my amp lately(as much as i love it) And instead of rolling out cash for a new one(which i dont have the money for) I was wondering what mods I or someone else can do to a Silvertone Twin Twelve. It's a 1963 or 64 I believe.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SpeedDemon; 11-01-2005, 07:12 PM.
    Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
    Thats what I like to hear. Family massacre heavy.

Re: Silvertone Mods

wow, I can't imagine modding one - they're kinda perfect in their own funky way!

the trannies are a little wimpy, but those amps have a great tone ... especially for blues.

there's a guy locally who plays a tele through a Twin Twelve, and it sounds great.

I think you just need to check that everything's working properly and that the tubes aren't too worn.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
      wow, I can't imagine modding one - they're kinda perfect in their own funky way!

the trannies are a little wimpy, but those amps have a great tone ... especially for blues.

there's a guy locally who plays a tele through a Twin Twelve, and it sounds great.

I think you just need to check that everything's working properly and that the tubes aren't too worn.
      Yeah they sure are great amps. Great clean sounds, anyways. Yeah the tubes might be a option. What would your recommend for tubes, I think they are 6L6's?

Comment

everyone speaks so highly of the TAD short bottles, you might want to try those, from Mojo Tone

I'd pick up one or two pre amp tubes - I'm not sure what tubes are in that circuit. If they're 12AX7s, then I'd look at JJ's, Sovtek LPSs, or the GT Chinese 9th gen.

hang on to your old tubes, especially if they're original
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
          everyone speaks so highly of the TAD short bottles, you might want to try those, from Mojo Tone

I'd pick up one or two pre amp tubes - I'm not sure what tubes are in that circuit. If they're 12AX7s, then I'd look at JJ's, Sovtek LPSs, or the GT Chinese 9th gen.

hang on to your old tubes, especially if they're original
          Sadly there not the originals they were replaced about 8 or 10 months before i got it, so were the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedDemon
            Yeah they sure are great amps. Great clean sounds, anyways. Yeah the tubes might be a option. What would your recommend for tubes, I think they are 6L6's?

Great cleans? You ain't turning that amp up loud enough. They howl very nicely but they gotta get loud. The TAD shorties would sound real nice in that amp.
            ]
            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
              Great cleans? You ain't turning that amp up loud enough. They howl very nicely but they gotta get loud. The TAD shorties would sound real nice in that amp.

Heh, funny you should mention this amp being loud. I don't find it loud enough and yes these things HOWL, but the cleans are good to.

Comment

Grab one of those SD fuzzz boxes, those tones that guy was getting in the demo they posted were killer without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by proxy
                  Grab one of those SD fuzzz boxes, those tones that guy was getting in the demo they posted were killer without a doubt.
                  No worries about fuzz boxes, I have an amazing fuzz box. I would say it outclasses the tweak fuzz by a fair bit. check out the 'Fire burst' distortion/fuzz here at www.diamondpedals.com

Comment

Heh, funny you should mention this amp being loud. I don't find it loud enough and yes these things HOWL, but the cleans are good to.

Do you have the Jensen Special designs in the cab? If so those are low watt yuck... I just hate them. You can get an amazing jump in volume with higher DB speakers. Great way to change the voice of an amp.
                    ]
                    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

I was wondering what mods I or someone else can do to a Silvertone Twin Twelve. It's a 1963 or 64 I believe.
                      Seriously, don't mess with the amp. If it's not doing what you want it to do, get something else. There's plenty of people that would love one of those amps... and plenty of people will pay good money for one of those amps that isn't messed with.
                      *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                      Originally posted by Slash2987
                      Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                      Originally posted by PVFan
                      I'm a good sex man.
                      Originally posted by Grumpy
                      I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Do you have the Jensen Special designs in the cab? If so those are low watt yuck... I just hate them. You can get an amazing jump in volume with higher DB speakers. Great way to change the voice of an amp.
                        I have no clue what kind of speakers, give me a couple of minutes and I can have pics of them.

The Golden Boy: After what everyone said, and thinking about it more. I am quite happy with the amp, maybe it could just use tubes and perhaps speakers.
                        Last edited by SpeedDemon; 11-01-2005, 06:46 PM.

Comment

OK finally(goddamned photobucket) here are 2 pics of the speakers. No brand or nothing on them, just a serial number, leads me to believe there not to great of speakers?

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 11-01-2005, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Thos are some itty bitty magnets and as a result likely make for really early somewhat cardboard like breakup. I personally think Eminenece has far and away the best deals going on speakers. Avatar speakers is blowing out the Eminence Legend GB12s for 29.00. I recorded almost all of my CD with them so if you hit my link you will hear them in action. They sounded great with my Silvertone Heads. I have owned two 1484 and currently have a 1483 Bass head. Tough to beat that bargain. Both the volume and personality of that amp would really wake up. I would put those speakers in storage so you could easily make it stock again if you ever sold it. I have done that with a set of Jensen Designs that came in a 63 Gibson cab I own. Not all things old sound good. If they were Alnico speakers it would be a different deal, but mine were pure junk tonally. In fact a couple months back I was playing a 1484 at a store and it was extremely quiet and thin. I asked what was in the cab and sure enough......
                            ]
                            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

Thos are some itty bitty magnets and as a result likely make for really early somewhat cardboard like breakup. I personally think Eminenece has far and away the best deals going on speakers. Avatar speakers is blowing out the Eminence Legend GB12s for 29.00. I recorded almost all of my CD with them so if you hit my link you will hear them in action. They sounded great with my Silvertone Heads. I have owned two 1484 and currently have a 1483 Bass head. Tough to beat that bargain. Both the volume and personality of that amp would really wake up. I would put those speakers in storage so you could easily make it stock again if you ever sold it. I have done that with a set of Jensen Designs that came in a 63 Gibson cab I own. Not all things old sound good. If they were Alnico speakers it would be a different deal, but mine were pure junk tonally. In fact a couple months back I was playing a 1484 at a store and it was extremely quiet and thin. I asked what was in the cab and sure enough......
                              Thanks kevlar, I think I am gonna see if I can pick up a set of those Legend GBB12's. And maybe some new tubes to. But i'm gonna need some info when it comes to the tubes.... as to which are power and pre amp or whatever I have no clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X