Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peavey classic 50?

Originally posted by WhoFan
    I've been thinking of swaping the speaker out of my Classic 30 combo.... first i need tubes but i have thought about changing the speaker... My Classic 50 head thru my little Marshall 1912 1x12 cab rocks!!! Love that sound........
    The Classic 30 has a 12" right? Drop a 75 watt Celestion in there...that's what's in the Marshall cab. Those amps operate on a fixed bias so you can change the tubes yourself too.
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose
      The Classic 30 has a 12" right? Drop a 75 watt Celestion in there...that's what's in the Marshall cab. Those amps operate on a fixed bias so you can change the tubes yourself too.
      The Classic 50 has a switch on the back for cab loads... 4/8/16..... The little 1912 cab has an 8 ohm 150 watt speaker in it so i throw the switch on the back to 8... The Classic 30 combo has a 16 ohm single 12... using an 8 ohm Celestion speaker in an amp meant for 16 is not good... Unless i can find a 16 ohm version of the same Celestion speaker you are talking about....

I have changed tubes before in my Classic head head and my 5150 head... I just buy them and throw them in as the Peavey tech i bought the stuff from told me that they are self Biasing... But i hear Matched tubes can make a difference.....

Comment

Ive been playing one for about 2 years i always had problems with the shared EQ with the clean and overdrive channels, the clean was to middy for jangly sparkly clean tones more of a thick jazzy clean tone, the lead channel sounded very harsh with not much bottom end and a muddy topend, i had a tube swap to JJ tubes in both pre and power amps, which helped the clarity in the top end and improved note separation.

But i still found the amp had to much mids and the bottom end wasnt very tight, especially with the gain above 2:00 oclock, so i got the blue mods done to it which helped again but i still wasnt happy, so i went and bought a new amp which is 20 watts and defintely sounds alot more like me (the tubes start working at a lower volume level which is a better way to go).

If u like a fairly mid focused sounding amp and are not intending to get a nice tight tone or useable metal tone then i recommend this amp. But i have tried a classic 30 and I like that better.
        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
        1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
        Blackstar HT-5
        2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by wixomwhat
          does this apply to the classic 4x12 also? I heard those were good 4x12's, do they have the same speakers as the combos do?
          The Classic 412 used Sheffield 1230 Speakers which are way better than the Blue Marvels that come stock. But they're pretty resonable to buy separately, compared to Celestions or Eminences...

On a side note, if anyone finds a Classic 100 head, that's the one to get. 8 EL84 power tubes. Talk about Smooth....
          www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79
            The Classic 412 used Sheffield 1230 Speakers which are way better than the Blue Marvels that come stock. But they're pretty resonable to buy separately, compared to Celestions or Eminences...

On a side note, if anyone finds a Classic 100 head, that's the one to get. 8 EL84 power tubes. Talk about Smooth....
            In the last 10 years i have only ever seen 2 Classic 100 heads and that was at Peavey in 1995..... looking back i wish i had bought it! I bought my Classic 50 head and my 5150 half stack from Peavey's old Canadian warehouser ten years ago.. The 5150 cab was an artist loaner. ..$200Canadian..... The 5150 head was taken away from a store that owed them money and i got it for $450.... then the Classic 50 head was a repaired item that was also an old artist loaner...$250canadian..... The C50 still had tape stuck to it for the roadies to mark the place where to place each dial on the amp.

Steller prices for great amps!!!! But while i was there at the Peavey warehouse they lead me into a huge office board room at the front of the building that had nothing but amps amps and more amps..... At the time the guy had been given permission to unload all this gear that had been piled up and it that could not be sold for new... In this room they had Classic 50 and 100 heads.... Classic 20, 30, and 50 combos of all types.... They had 2 5150 cabs and looking back i am kicking myself i didn't buy the other cab!!! It was only $200 too..... I bought the only 5150 head they had to get rid of. They did have ton's of solid state stuff.... they had a 2x12 solid state chorus amp that knocked my socks off for a clean tone and the volume that thing put out!!!! Man that would of been a neet amp.... i also could of bought a bunch of 80's discontinued Peavey guitar models... Later when i phoned back to see if i could buy some more stuff it was gone.... someone came in and wiped them clean.... Wish i could of bought some of the new amps too but they would not sell me any new amps... Had to go thru a dealer for that

Comment

Working...
            X