speaker ohm ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaker ohm ?

if a speaker reads 6.5 ohms is it an 8 ohm or a 4 ohm?
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Re: speaker ohm ?

Damn fine question...6.5 is an impedence I have never seen before. What is the speaker
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

What you've got there I'm assuming is the pure DC resistance of the speaker. It's not quite the same thing as impedence. But a speaker's DC resistance will measure a little bit lower than impedence so I'd say you've got an 8 ohm unit there.

Comment

you using one of those old ohm meters?

those usualy have a 20% error margin, so i guess you have an 8 ohm speaker

Comment

It's an 8 ohm speaker...A speaker never reads it's actual ohms reading.....The readings are normally about 1- 2 ohms less than the rating in my experiences...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

You are talking about an instrument speaker, right? My old truck had 9.5Ohm speakers installed from the factory. Pretty freakin' weird.

The speaker impedance takes into account the inductance of the speaker also. All you're measuring is the resistance, like SlyFoxx said. I'd be apt to agree with everyone, though. It's probably an 8Ohm speaker.
            It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonMIA
              You are talking about an instrument speaker, right? My old truck had 9.5Ohm speakers installed from the factory. Pretty freakin' weird.

The speaker impedance takes into account the inductance of the speaker also. All you're measuring is the resistance, like SlyFoxx said. I'd be apt to agree with everyone, though. It's probably an 8Ohm speaker.
              An 8 ohm speaker normally reads around 6 ohms...A 4 ohm speaker reads around 3.1 ohms...A 16 ohm speaker measures around 13 ohms....From memory...
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Cool thanks guys, there was no rating on this speaker and I wasn't sure. Yes I was reading DC resistance. Thought it was an 8Ohm but better safe than sorry.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                  An 8 ohm speaker normally reads around 6 ohms...A 4 ohm speaker reads around 3.1 ohms...A 16 ohm speaker measures around 13 ohms....From memory...
                  You know, I've never really paid much attention. I guess I should try some out. Maybe make a chart to have something as a go by.
                  It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonMIA
                    You know, I've never really paid much attention. I guess I should try some out. Maybe make a chart to have something as a go by.
                    Or just ask me!~ LOL.....Been there,done that..

Comment

Working...
                    X