ZZ Top's First Album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ZZ Top's First Album

I've got that cassette in my truck's CD/cassette deck. That's one album that I always hit rewind/play, just to memorize cool licks. The whole vibe of those early albums was a lot more akin to Jimmy Page/Hendrix......kinda like a cross between those 2.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The entire album has a vibe that is simply amazing...Billy's touch on Brown Sugar is out of this world...as is his tone on the entire album!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

haha, i posted almost this exact same thread almost a month ago. I'm also a huge fan of those early guitar tones. Brown Sugar is probably my favorite blues rock type guitar sound ever. I totally agree about the Led Zeppelin vibes. Wasn't the first ZZ record recorded in London? That might have a LOT to do with it.
        teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

It was recorded in Texas...however, it was released on London records.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I really hope that my wife catches the hints that I've been giving her for my birthday present. Can't afford a real '59 or RI, but I sure love looking at Pearly!

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
              I have not memorized the book...yet!

TGB...one very cool thing about this book, is that Billy plays it straight...there seems to be no tall tales in this book...he does however mention the Expandoras and the 2x12 Crates!
              Last edited by JumpMarine; 11-08-2005, 04:54 PM.
              '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

save, save, and save some more and get a 58 reissue...best decision I've made in a long time was to not settle for an Epi or even a high quality clone (Tokai, Edwards, etc)...the 58's can be had for 2k or more less than a 59! The 59 reissues are cool but I don't care for the much taller frets...the 58 have slightly smaller frets that a 59 plus you don't have to shell out for a flame top!

That said...Pearly sure is a looker!

Comment

Very reliable source has it that a Pearly Gates LP is very close to being unveiled ala the Page, Rossington, Duane, etc.

Man my wife is going to freak when she finds out why we're getting a re-fi
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Damn...there is NO WAY I would shell out the amount of cash that would cost but it would be nice!

Comment

Working...
                    X