Where do you put your volume pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you put your volume pedal?

If you have a volume pedal - where do you place it on your effects chain?

I currently have mine at the end - because the effects pedals all have level controls that seem to work independant of of the volume going in. I like to be able to bring down (or up) the volume as needed - like a master volume.

But I am reading that some recommend putting the volume pedal at the front end. I really don't understand this logic.
    Rick
    (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
    Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Re: Where do you put your volume pedal?

Originally posted by RW James
    If you have a volume pedal - where do you place it on your effects chain?

I currently have mine at the end - because the effects pedals all have level controls that seem to work independant of of the volume going in. I like to be able to bring down (or up) the volume as needed - like a master volume.

But I am reading that some recommend putting the volume pedal at the front end. I really don't understand this logic.
    Depends on whether the pedal is low or high impedence also? I use an EB Volume pedal with my Valvetronix head and it just gets inserted within the f/c jack....I also use a Boss Volume pedal last in line and just before the amp if I use any amp other than my Valvetronix...I'm pretty sure the Boss pedal I use is a low impedence pedal and that pedal works best as the last pedal..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I put mine before my gain pedals as I like to be able to control how much signal is hitting them.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I like it at the beginning, but I use it as an effect, for swells, rather than controlling the overall signal hitting the amp.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Actually, I would prefer to have TWO

One in front of any wah, overdrives, distortions and the preamp to control the level of drive, and for swells (thus overruling the volumepot of the guitar, as it's much easier doing this by foot, so your picking hand can focus solely on picking), and one on the end of the FX-chain (but in front of delays and reverbs).
          Last edited by Jeroen; 11-09-2005, 05:43 AM.
          Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
          Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroen
            Actually, I would prefer to have TWO
            I guess that makes the most sense... but where can I find the room?
            Rick
            (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
            Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Comment

Only Volume pedal i have is on my Line 6 Long Board for my POD.... Kind of ticks me off that when you have volume pedal all the way off you still get a little signal coming thru..

I want an Ernie Ball Volume pedal oneday! I like that Rush tune Zanadu....

Comment

Working...
              X