banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Small Amp And Pedal Combo For Vh Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Small Amp And Pedal Combo For Vh Sound?

Well, IMO the Plexi models on the POD XT absolutely suck.. too twangy, too thin...no "balls"..you gotta crank the amp, and thenw hats the point? (i.e. buy a tube amp). The JTM45 is pretty good, and the 800 model is dead on...but they won't get ya the "brown" sound. The Soldano model is actually quite good and will get ya close.

I've been messing with a Vox Tonelab SE the past week, and it's the opposite, the Plexi model is the ONLY good one of the Marshall amps. In fact I was really surprised how good it sounded compared to the AT30/50 vox combos I had. Very nice, especially goosed with the DS-1 pedal model. It will get ya much closer than the POD. The JTM model sounds good through the celestion 75 cab too, but the 800/900/TSL/and soldano models are horiffic...even with the modelled peds as tweaks (IMO)...they all have extremely sloppy bass response, are too twangy,are too fuzzy and the mids are completely wrong. You put the peds on them to tighten up the bass and smooth out the fuzzy highs and they all turn to mud. The MESA model with the gain dropped and "goosed" with a Boss SOD ped model actually sounds more Marshally than the Marshall models

Too bad too, cos the Tonelab sounds so much more authentic (I.e. clearer, more tubey) as an "amp" than the POD XTL (I'm running both through an Atomic), and I find the effects (both peds and modulation type things) are much better on the Vox TL SE. If it would just do a decent 800 series sound (which I use the most), no doubt I'd be happy with it, as the plexi and JTM tones are pretty good.

Tech21 stuff is great....for a good VH brown sound at low volumes thats the way I'd go, though I'm thinking about picking up a Plexitone myself to run into my Rivera as a last resort before I sell the damn thing.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
      Terry, you're graphic representation is great.

I especially love that EVH graphic....he's kind of become a caricature himself, so it's fitting!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99

I especially love that EVH graphic....he's kind of become a caricature himself, so it's fitting!
        Very much so....LOL

Comment

Working...
        X