new cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new cab

now that ive decided on a head, what cab should i get? the head i am planning on getting is the mesa boogie f- 50. i would prefer a brighter sounding cab to a darker one. probably in the 500-700 u.s. dollar range, but absolutley no higher than 1000 dollars. i play some funky/ reggae-ish guitar stuff, with some hard rock edge. i use both clean and distortion, i suppose like half and half but if i had to choose, i would prefer better cleans. i play leads and rhythm. i hate muddy dark tones. i will be using a strat, but will be getting some sort of humbucker equipped guitar in the future. so like what do you guys think?

Re: new cab

2x12 or 4x12?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

o yeah i dont know what size i want. what are the differences between these 2 besides number of speakers? for style, think john frusciante (rhcp) mixed with some bradley nowell (sublime) style reggae type rhythms, and if anyones ever listened to finch's (the american modern rock band) new album "say hello to sunshine", the guitar parts on that. i also play wierd type funky stuff kind of along the lines as tom morello (rage against the machine) (but without the whammy stuff). and a bit of the crunchy rhythms.
      Last edited by nepalnt21; 11-19-2005, 04:04 PM.

Comment

would it be worth it to get a cheap cab and switch out the speakers?

Comment

I tend to be partial to 2x12s. They're more than big enough if you're not gigging and if you are playing out you'd probably appreciate the fact that they're a lot easier to move than 4x12s.

My next cab will be an EarCandy Buzz Bomb. You choose the wood (birch ply, maple, mahogany, pine), color, grille, speakers, wiring, etc for quite a reasonable price. They're not the bargain that Avatars are (I have two of those) but I've heard nothing but great things about EarCandy from people whose opinions I respect.

Like the Buzz Bomb, my current #1 cab is a ported 2x12. The ports give it a more airy tone with cleans and more low end to make up for the cab's smaller volume relative to a 4x12.
          Last edited by aleclee; 11-19-2005, 04:15 PM.
          My Music

Comment

Originally posted by nepalnt21
            would it be worth it to get a cheap cab and switch out the speakers?
            Not IMO. It's kind of like upgrading pickups on a cheap guitar: you can get good results but you'll rarely end up with something great and you'll take it in the shorts on resale.
            My Music

Comment

how heavy is a 4x12 on average?

Comment

Originally posted by nepalnt21
                how heavy is a 4x12 on average?
                70-75 lbs for decent cab with quality speakers.
                Last edited by aleclee; 11-19-2005, 04:22 PM.
                My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
                  70-75 lbs for decent cab with quality speakers.
                  wow and i thought my 40 pund amp was a ***** to carry. im gonna have to haul the new one up and down stairs and into a small ass 89 accord. maybe the 2x12 is the best idea.

do you have a link to the EarCandy site (if they even have one)? i tried googling them, but came up with a lot of nonsense.
                  Last edited by nepalnt21; 11-19-2005, 04:31 PM.

Comment

allright so im looking at the buzzbomb. what speakers would be the best? like maybe the patriot series or soemthing? or can i mix and match? i would like to strass again that im looking for a clear, bright yet also fairly well balanced tone.

Comment

Call EarCandy and ask.
                      My Music

Comment

Working...
                      X