tube amps: the well oiled machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube amps: the well oiled machines

i am about to enter the realm of owning tube amps. i have never owned one, dont know anyone too well that owns one, the only expiriences ive had with them are playing them in the store, and reading about them. so i would appreciate some pointers on taking care of it. what are some no- no's? what are some yes- yes's? jsut a general "how" to be nice to my amp. i dont have it yet, but it will be a mesa f- 50 head with a buzzbomb 2x12 cab. thanks for any advice.

Re: tube amps: the well oiled machines

Pretty straight forward. Let the tubes warm up in standby mode for 30 seconds to a minute. That will extend the tube life.

Try not to put it right up against the wall. Give it 4 inches at least as you want a bit of air flow.

Some folks install little fans in the back, but I've never bothered. I think it's overkill for most amps.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Don't run a tube amp that's not hooked up to speakers.
      Do not mismatch speaker & output impedance by a factor of > 2:1 (e.g., 16 ohm speaker hooked up to 4 ohm output)
      Don't go poking around inside the chassis if you don't know what you're poking. The voltages in there can make you very dead.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

Always have spare (properly rated) fuses and tubes on hand. Not a full set of tubes, but at least one extra power and one extra preamp tube. You wouldn't drive your car without a spare tire, would you?
        Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
          The voltages in there can make you very dead.
          Excellent advice. The filter caps can release lethal voltage levels, even after the amp has been unplugged for hours or days.
          Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

all good stuff here, and keep the beers off the top of the amp.

regarding sticking your hands in the chassis, like the others said just don't do it. A fender champ that was unplugged, yes unplugged, literally gave me the shock of my life, in retrospect I did something really stupid, but I know better now.
            Todd Richards
            Revolution Guitar

Comment

Never put liquids (Beer, soda, water) on top of the head.

Doublecheck EVERYTHING before flipping the standby switch, esp speaker connectoin and Master volume.
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

If the amp you're getting is used you should retube the whole thing and have the bias properly set by an amp tech. Your amp will run smoother with new properly biased tubes.

Comment

thanks for all the advice! this will help me out a lot. and hopefully others will read this, and git they larnin on!

Comment

ok what does it mean to "bias" an amp? and do you have to do this every time you change tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by nepalnt21
                      ok what does it mean to "bias" an amp? and do you have to do this every time you change tubes?
                      It basically calibrates the amp for the tubes, an unbiased amp will sound like crap. It is bad for the amp and especially the tubes to have the bias wrong. You only need to do this for the power tubes, preamp tubes are plug and play.
                      Originally posted by ratherdashing
                      If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Kac's Advice ~ Crank the son-of-a-

Rock On!!!!
                        ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                        2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                        Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Everyone forgot the most important thing........turn that sucka up to 11!
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                            Everyone forgot the most important thing........turn that sucka up to 11!
                            I think you and I were thinking alike...
                            ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                            2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                            Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

i found some pages on google about biasing but they are confusing. basically i read that you have to check it with a voltometer? that still doesnt tell how to adjust anything. or do yo? again, ive had not much expirience with this kind of stuff, so layman's terms, please.

Comment

Working...
                              X