banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compare and contrast 6L6s and EL34s......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare and contrast 6L6s and EL34s......

..............in amps that are capable of running both with a flip of a switch such as Mesas. I am curious about the distinct characteristics and tone generalizations that can be made of both. I am most interested in what is said about 34s since I have traditionally been a 6L6 Fender lover.
    Last edited by B Bent; 12-01-2005, 03:14 PM.
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Re: Compare and contrast 6L6s and EL34s......

Originally posted by B Bent
    ..............in amps that are capable of running both with a flip of a switch such as Mesas. I am curious about the distinct characteristics and tone generalizations that can be made of both. I am most interested in what is said about 34s since I have traditionally been a 6L6 Fender lover.
    The 6L6 keeps more headroom and to me,has a rounder fuller and warmer tone...I Like 6L6s for my clean tones and it creates the "American amp tone well"

The EL34 gives up it's headroom quicker and compresses very nicely when pushed and snarls or honks in the mids when pushed...It seems as though these tubes tend to bring the mids out a bit more also,but I think I'm talking about what I hear in a Marshall amp?

The EL34 is the "british sounding tube" and it too is capable of nice clean tone.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I agree with what STRATDELUXER97 posted above.

If i may add.. 6L6s are usually richer with Lows/Lowmids type tone. so with overdrive, your getting a pretty nice chug.

EL34s are richer in the mids/high mids and like STRATDELUXER97, they tend to overdrive/breakup faster then 6L6s, which gives the tone a bit more of a "fatter" tone.

The only thing is EL34s lack in the lowend and the lowend on them isnt anywhere near as tight as it is on the 6L6s. So, the solution for that is the E34Ls tube (made by JJ tubes). It has a very similar tonal characteristics to "standard" EL34 but these ones have more lowend, its much much tighter and the overall tone is a bit more aggressive. They work excellent for both highgain and cleans.

hope that helps!
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

I was quite amazed when I popped a set of EL34s in my Nomad last night. Definitely quicker breakup and almost reminded me of some spongy Class A(ish) clean/dirty tone.
        I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

I think the best example amp to try this on is the JTM45. With 6L6's it's pretty much a 59 Bassman circuit. Pop EL34's in it and hear the Brittish tone. Pop KT66's in there and "CLapton is GoD!"

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

El34 = Grrrrrrrr!

6l6 = Thhhummp!
            Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
            Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
            Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
            Boss SD-1
            Digitech Bad Monkey
            Vox V-847 wah

Comment

Working...
            X