Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender - The New Twin

Originally posted by Telesexual
    and I thought the 85watt twin was over the top, that thing is gonna be loud. buy some earplugs
    Don't forget the 1/4 power switch...
    Generic signature line.

Comment

if you use the right tubes, speakers and transformers, a good 2x6L6 amp will give you ear bleedin' cleans!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I think some people get the idea that the Pro Tube Series is a second rate amp. It's not...it's one of Fender's best amps. You could put the clean tone against all the 65 Reissue amps, and it's equal, if not better because of the better lows from the deeper cab. The gain channel is Fender's best. You can get bedroom metal, or overdriven classic tone, depending on how you set it. The Reverb is excellent, and the tremolo is tube driven as well. I can only speak for the Concert, since that's what I owned. I liked it a whole lot more than the Bassman LTD I had right after it. The Bassman is a more roadworthy amp, but it's nowhere near as versatile as the Pro Tube Concert Reverb. The Pro is OK. The Twin is too loud, but the Concert is the best from that series. Of course, I had perfectly biased Svetlanas and better pre tubes. The key to ANY tube amp is using top notch tubes.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I tried the Reissue 65 Twin at GC on Friday. The treble is a little glassy for my tastes, and that glassiness is hard to dial out -- but that could probably be fixed with some new power tubes, especially Svetlana Winged C's. But it definitely has the headroom on clean, and it seems to add bloom and sustain to the notes.

I also noticed the preamp tubes are like metal canisters rather than glass tubes. I wonder if putting some "normal" 12AX7's and AT7's in there would improve the tone some.

By the way, does the Reissue 65 Twin have a bias test point or is it truly "vintage"?
          Last edited by Zhangliqun; 12-19-2005, 04:17 PM.
          Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
            One of the best cleans I've heard. That said, some of the 65 RI's have an even better clean. I'd say go for the RI if you don't need channel switching.
            +1. I've never cared for Fender's high gain tones myself anyway.
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun

I also noticed the preamp tubes are like metal canisters rather than glass tubes. I wonder if putting some "normal" 12AX7's and AT7's in there would improve the tone some.
              um, those metal cannisters are covers to protect the tubes and stop them vibrating. there are normal old glass tubes inside.

As for 'vintageness', the 65ri is hardly an exact copy. It uses different componentry and a PCB. Others with more knowledge will be able to tell you of the differences between an ri and an original '65.
              Last edited by Hot _Grits; 12-19-2005, 05:01 PM.
              Originally posted by Jolly
              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Working...
              X