Crate Palomino V16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Palomino V16

Just got back from Guitar Center where I played this amp as well as the V8 and a Blues Junior. This amp blew the other two out of the water. Very warm clean channel and more gain than I'll ever need. My complaints about the amp are that it's only 1 channel, the reverb is pretty sucky, and the cosmetics are kind of...

Anyway, I was wondering what the general consensus on these little amps are. I mean is there any recurring problems that they've shown? How durable are they? I'd like to have this amp for a couple of years (assuming I buy it).
    :banana: :banana: :dance: :banana: :banana:

Re: Crate Palomino V16

I'm not sure about the V16, but if you get the chance, try the V32 Palomino. Mine has survived a bad car crash, half torn open (the whole side is cracked) and it still sounds great! I've used it for several gigs and it sounds great (much better than people think - I've gotten some jaw dropping tones from it). So far the quality of the amp has proven itself and it's the best $500 I've ever spent.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
      I'm not sure about the V16, but if you get the chance, try the V32 Palomino. Mine has survived a bad car crash, half torn open (the whole side is cracked) and it still sounds great! I've used it for several gigs and it sounds great (much better than people think - I've gotten some jaw dropping tones from it). So far the quality of the amp has proven itself and it's the best $500 I've ever spent.
      It's a good little amp, but I only paid $389 for mine
      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I have never used any of the palamino series but I purchesed a Crate V1512 (the non-palamino eqivelent) and it is pretty sweet. It sounds fantastic and gets a good range of tones. It also seems to take pedals pretty well. My only complaints are: NO HEADROOM, I mean none. I commonly practice with a clean tone dialed in on the gain and the master volume nearly max. It does get some dang good crunch though and when you put a cranked overdrive in front, daaaaaamn it sounds sweet. Also the stock tubes SUCK, the ones that came with mine are extremely noisy and the GT in V1 was microphonic at high gain to the point that it went out of controll at max gain with the volume around 2 o-clock or lower. I replaced that tube and it sounds way better now. Some people will mourn the lack of an effects loop but I could care less for my uses. Overall it is a really nice amp with some great tones ranging from nice SRV like cleans (not very loud though) to usably metal distortion. It is very touch sensitive, sometimes to an irritating level but you can dial cool tones where single tones are pretty clean but if you hit two or more strings it crunches like crazy. Just consider replacing the tubes, interestingly enough mine had two different power tubes, one was a GT sovtek and the other one was a different looking GT tube without the Sovtek stamp underneath. Also all but V1 in the preamp were sovteks but V1 was a GT and it was the worst tube of all of them.
        Originally posted by ratherdashing
        If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Yeah I love those Palomino's and was considering getting one but the lack of headroom on the 16 kinda put me off...although I didn't think about getting a cooler set of tubes to bring the headroom up a bit when I made the decision not to get one. Maybe there's one in my future?

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman
            It's a good little amp, but I only paid $389 for mine
            The V32 Palomino is a 30w amp, unlike the V16 15w amp, completely different animal (that also accounts for the price difference)

If I'm mistaken and you picked up the V32 for $389... you got a hell of a bargain
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
              The V32 Palomino is a 30w amp, unlike the V16 15w amp, completely different animal (that also accounts for the price difference)

If I'm mistaken and you picked up the V32 for $389... you got a hell of a bargain
              Yeah, thats not much more than I got my V1512 for new and that was a major discount. If you got a 32 for that price tell me where, I want one
              Originally posted by ratherdashing
              If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Working...
              X