Boogie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie questions

I'm looking to buy a Boogie with a Mk or Mk inspired tone (basically anything thats not Rectifier stuff) and am not sure what to do. I love the Mk IV and am really interested in one but also like the idea of the MIDI controlled Quad Pre's even though they (the DIDI ones) seem rare. Is the Studio Pre basically a stripped down Quad Preamp? I don't really need the whole Mk IV now that I think about it but I don't know if I'd need the extra features of the Quad if the Studio is similar. Anyone?

Re: Boogie questions

anyone?

Comment

the old studio pre's were sweet for the mark tone ... the new ones are stripped down rectos, so i think it is not what you are after

if you dig the mk iv, i'd say look for one to start getting aquainted with ... buy used - play for free ... if it turns out to not be your thing, sell and try something else

those quads are wicked cool, but rare as hen's teeth and expensive

tri-axis is also a great way to go if you are into the midi thing

good luck
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

yeah im talking about the old ones. they really do the mark tone well? they seem to fit me/my budget better anyway...i dont need all the features of the mk IV's and quads yet but if the studio pre is anything like i imagine it should fit the bill for now.

Comment

I have friend's who play the Tri- Axis, killer tone but most people use em for the Recto sound. I cannot say enough about the Mark 1 and 2 series. Not as versatile as the IV, but the 4 is a ***** to set without a tone of tweaking and using a manual. You will be in HELL on a dark stage with only a line check before a gig. I love the Mark IV though I find the 3rd channel wayyyyy gainy to get under control and open up.
          1973 Les Paul Standard
          1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
            I have friend's who play the Tri- Axis, killer tone but most people use em for the Recto sound. I cannot say enough about the Mark 1 and 2 series. Not as versatile as the IV, but the 4 is a ***** to set without a tone of tweaking and using a manual. You will be in HELL on a dark stage with only a line check before a gig. I love the Mark IV though I find the 3rd channel wayyyyy gainy to get under control and open up.
            How does the Mk I compare to the IV? I don't need all the wattage of any of the Mk series amps and that was why I was interested in the studio preamp (the model "studio preamp" by the way). I really dont need all the EQ and channel switching options of the IV either...espcially if the I is as good as I've heard it is. I wish I knew a place I could try one out.

Comment

I posted a comparison of the Studio and Quad awhile back. I can dig it up if you want, but essentially,the Quad CH1 is the same as the Studio's tones. However Quad Ch2 takes things further, especially with the lead mode.

MJ
              EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

MJ

Comment

Well, here is the thing. Thar MARK IV has the MARK I in there somewhere. Problem is, the MARK IV is a nightmare to set and tweak. You need to experiment forever. I like amps that don't have a huge learning curve. I roughly dial it in and then play and get great tone.

Most people say the MARK IV is flubby in the bass, meaning it is kinda loose. I DO like the Mesa 90 watt speaker, and I will agree it needs to break in, and will never be ultra tight in the bottom. The MARK I is easy to set, kinda flubby in the bass, and gives you a classic gain tone in the mid 70s KEEF/MICK T vein or SANTANA. A boogie appeared on Sticky Fingers I believe (Can't you Hear me Knockin'? me thinks.) Either way, the MArk I sounds great but has NO versatility. The best you can do is use an AB switch to access the low gain. It has fendery properties with a beast under the hood for focused high gain. MARK I is more of a lead players amp overall. It does NOT do the JCM800 crunch tone. You can fake that crunch with some of the other MARKs like the MARK IV. I prefer the MARK 2s because they have the classic mesa distortion AND they take pedals pretty well, so you can really mess with the gain. I believe the MARK I if set right will take pedals well, but you have to experiment. Also, you NEED the EQ in my opinion.
                  1973 Les Paul Standard
                  1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by itbepopples
                    yeah im talking about the old ones. they really do the mark tone well? they seem to fit me/my budget better anyway...i dont need all the features of the mk IV's and quads yet but if the studio pre is anything like i imagine it should fit the bill for now.
                    It's the other way around....people liked the Studio Pre, but wanted more options, so they built the Quad. The Studio Pre/Quad Pre are basially a MkIIC and MkIII preamp circuit in one.

Originally posted by itbepopples
                    How does the Mk I compare to the IV? I don't need all the wattage of any of the Mk series amps and that was why I was interested in the studio preamp (the model "studio preamp" by the way). I really dont need all the EQ and channel switching options of the IV either...espcially if the I is as good as I've heard it is. I wish I knew a place I could try one out.
                    The MkI is much less gainy, and less saturated overall than the MkIV.

If you're after anything that's close to the classic Metallica tones you want one with the graphic EQ. It'll let you scoop the mids without killing all the tone.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Well I'm not a huge fan of Metallica's tone and would basically be using the...whatever is best for me...for just a smooth singing lead tone and a more raw gainy but not over the top rhythm tone. I wouldn't be using it for clean and only really need those two sounds as my Silvertone can do the vintage inspired stuff just fine. I'm leaning more toward the Studio Pre as it seems to fit my needs (not to mention my budget) better. It seems as though all the Studio Pre's have a graphic EQ, which you guys have all said is a plus so my only question now is: is the two channel Studio capable of those two tones...one on each channel? I only ask because I had one of those awful Lone Stars awhile back and both channels were basically the same I don't want to buy a two channel preamp expecting to be able to dial two different tones in and be dissapointed.
                      Last edited by itbepopples; 12-15-2005, 02:21 PM.

Comment

The Studio pre is only ONE channel with two modes. That means you have to share the rotary (and if you want, graphic eq) EQ. Since you don't want it for cleans (but the cleans are KILLER!), you can do this:

You can get your two tones mentioned by setting up the lead mode with and without the graphic EQ engaged. That will essentially give you the two tones you want as the graphic EQ can seriously reshape the tone.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Monty-Jay
                          The Studio pre is only ONE channel with two modes. That means you have to share the rotary (and if you want, graphic eq) EQ. Since you don't want it for cleans (but the cleans are KILLER!), you can do this:

You can get your two tones mentioned by setting up the lead mode with and without the graphic EQ engaged. That will essentially give you the two tones you want as the graphic EQ can seriously reshape the tone.

MJ
                          Awesome...that's the exact thing I wanted to accomplish. I can't wait till tuesday when I get paid! I have my eye on one right now on ebay.

Comment

Awesome man, hope it works out for you! Sidenote...I have been extremely busy with school and I JUST finished my last final. But before leaving to take it, I started to retube my Studio.

When I first received it, I took several photos and posted them online. One dude said they looked like the *original* tubes! That can certainly be true because it sure looks like it also has the original dust, haha. Anyway, I honestly felt that the Studio (and Quad) sounded really great with these tubes. I've been meaning to order a fresh set (that's like 12 tubes total or something like that, haha) but I simply haven't had time to do that. Well I was poking around my room while looking for something else and I came across two new EH preamp tubes. I threw them in the Studio pre and W-O-W!! This sucker sounds HUGE and totally thick now. I can see it being extremely easy for you to find the tones you seek in the Studio pre. It's just so lean and organic sounding, pure IIC TONE

MJ

Comment

Ok...one last question. I just stumbled upon a Mesa DC-3 which looks to be in pretty good condition. The price isn't much more than what I would be paying for the Studio Pre so I was wondering if it's capable of the tones I mentioned before. Anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                              X