Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Recommendation for JVM215 Combo

Hello all!

I have a Marshall JVM215C 50w 112 combo, and, just to be clear, I’ve had many “nicer” boutique amps and I still think the JVM is a killer amp. That being said, the stock G12B-150 Speaker, while perfectly fine, is actually a little bass-y and stiff. I would prefer something like a Greenback, but being a 50 watt 112 that limits the standard Greenback. I’ve been looking at some higher wattage alternative in that same vein. Can I get some comparisons from those that have played them or suggest others? Thanks!

Celestion Creamback 65
    Celestion G12-65
    Scumback M75
    Eminence Private Jack
    Splawn Small Block
    Boss Waza Speaker

"We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Scumbacks are great, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. Of the speakers on your list, I'm most familiar with the Celestion G12-65 and Eminence Private Jack. The G12-65 is a cool speaker and I love it with a JCM800 or JMP, though it really doesn't sound all that close to a G12M Greenback. Eminence Private Jacks OTOH sound very similar to a Greenback, except that they get tighter as opposed to looser when pushed hard.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The Splawn Small Block is a fantastic speaker. I’ve got them in 2 2x12, each paired with a Celestion G12t-75.
      You won’t be disappointed in them. Plus Scott sells them very reasonably. Iirc, I paid $95/ each.

Comment

The creamback m65 would be perfect for that amp IMO. If you were mostly just metal then I'd say k100 or even t75.

Comment

I have Creambacks and Greenbacks in my cabs, really like them both. The Creamback has a little more low-mid thing than the Greenback but covers a lot of the same ground.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! Creamback sounds like the way to go but I'm still considering the Fane/Avatar M65 as that's Fane's version of the Creamback. Either way I'm hoping it thins out and brightens the sound a bit, I have to run the bass nearly off and the resonance off with that G12B-150 and it's still a dark thick sounding speaker even with a considerable amount of presence and treble. I think they really wanted to nail that huge 4x12 sound out of a 1x12 but I'm looking for something with a bit more cut.
            "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Comment

Speaking of which does anyone else feel like nearly all modern amps have an insane amount of bass? The only thing I can think of is they were built exclusively mostly modern metal or hobbyists playing at home but I can't remember the last time I played a modern amp design where I didn't have to keep the bass at about 10 o'clock or below.

Comment

Working...
              X