I need/want a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need/want a new amp

First time posting in the amp section on here.

I am looking for a new amp, specifically a head, but open to combo suggestions.

Background: The band that I play in plays metalcore to pop-punk and things in between. I currently am using a Orange Crush Pro 120 out of a PPC 2x12. I am looking for more gain. I have a Joyo Zombie (pretty sure it’s a Mesa Clone). I like it but obviously I am looking to upgrade from that but keep that same style of sound. Think chuggy chuggy chug chug type of music/sounds.

Price range: $700 and I’m okay with used.

Current thoughts on amps: I have really been looking into 5150’s 6505’s and 6534. I have been thinking of the 6505 combo but not sure. I am not a gear head so I do not know what all is good and a lot in the topic. My level of knowledge is guitars and pickups, not amps and speakers. I am not looking for modeling as I’m not good with using that type of technology and get frustrated with it.

Open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried a preamp pedal thru the CR120, a Helix or the like included? I'm a high gain nut and I have been very satisfied by using the CR120 in that fashion. Its hard to get an Orange to not sound like an Orange, but with a couple pedals, you'd be surprised.
    Guitars:
    2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
    Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
    Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

Can you get a used Dual Rectifier at that price?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Price has went up somewhat on used rectifiers, but since you are in the cornbelt they are still listed reasonable on craigslist locals. You near Indy or Chicago?

Honestly with the right pedals your current rig through the V30 212 cab is already great. Pedals are a rabbit hole though.

Maybe a wampler triplewreck would ice the cake! He's between Terre Haute and Indy I think. Sweetwater sells them also,,,,or at least they did last time i was pedal surfing.

Comment

I'd go for the PRS mark tremonti signature head

It's a great amp, it covers the territory that you're interested in, it has tons of features, and its very affordable

I also agree with Dave74 – you could also take a dive down the pedal rabbit hole __PRESENT
          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

The Blackstar Artisan is a hand wired (NO PCB) head or combo, reminds me of a 50 watt Marshall Plexi crossed with a Vox AC30, but with gain, master volume and super versatile tone controls that actually work!

Gets stellar clean and overdriven tones.

Extremely pedal friendly.

I tend to set mine up for clean tones with a little sparkle, then use a Dover Drive for my overdrive.

I can get killer British Blues, Jeff Beck and EVH tones with humbuckers, and Eric Johnson and Uli style violin tones with the Dover Drive.

The Artisan is great without pedals for bluesy overdrive and cranked AC-30 and Plexi tones. It'll do Fender too, because the tone controls are so well designed.

But overall, the Artisan has a British flavor to the sound.

I love the way Blackstar voices their amps.

Those guys have great ears!
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-30-2020, 06:41 AM.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

That's a good cab, I would prefer that cab and a head to most combo amps if I were gigging
              Heads are a little more reliable as the tubes are further away from the vibrating speakers/cabs and you can change heads and change cabs if down the line you need more options

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                That's a good cab, I would prefer that cab and a head to most combo amps if I were gigging
                Heads are a little more reliable as the tubes are further away from the vibrating speakers/cabs and you can change heads and change cabs if down the line you need more options
                I like a head and 2 x 12 cab. Lighter than a combo.

An AC30 is SO HEAVY!

But an AC30 head and 2 x 12 cab is doable and gets the same sound.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The 6505/6534 is tighter and more aggressively voiced than the Recto, and if the Zombie is a Recto clone (never played a Zombie, co can't confirm that for myself), may not be quite what you're going for.

A used Single Rectifier isn't far out of your price range. It's a *touch* brighter than the Dual, but not much -- they're very much in the same ballpark. The MT15, as mentioned above, is another option -- should be loud enough if the Zombie was.

Comment

If you want to chug, it’s going to be hard to beat the 5150/6505. I just plugged into my block letter 5150 the other day for the first time in a while. I forgot how much gain that amp really has... another suggestion on here is definitely worth checking out: the PRS MT15. My brother has one and I tried it out. It can definitely get the thick bottom end chug thing going. And don’t be put off by the “15 watts”... that thing is LOUD...
                    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

6505+ or a 5150 III are guaranteed to fit the bill

I don't have any hands-on experience with the PRS MT15, but it seems like another top choice for what you're after and even new ones are easily in your price range.

Comment

I vote 5150/6505 or variants. It's the industry's standard for a reason.

Comment

Any 5150-derivative amp will get you there, and there are a ton out there. I've heard those used for everything from classic rock to metal. I don't think EVH was trying to build versatility, but he nailed it really well.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^There is a Bugera clone of it for a very very stupid price. Get that one. Forum member Phantasmagoria seems to swear by it big time.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                              Price has went up somewhat on used rectifiers, but since you are in the cornbelt they are still listed reasonable on craigslist locals. You near Indy or Chicago?

Honestly with the right pedals your current rig through the V30 212 cab is already great. Pedals are a rabbit hole though.

Maybe a wampler triplewreck would ice the cake! He's between Terre Haute and Indy I think. Sweetwater sells them also,,,,or at least they did last time i was pedal surfing.
                              I am by Crawfordsville which is about an 1 from terra haute and Indy

Comment

Working...
                              X