Speaker guys, talk to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker guys, talk to me

Just got my hands on a 1960ax. Loaded with 25w greenback reissues. Sounds good, but! A little flubby at high volume chugga chugga.

I'm considering swapping speakers out.

In my other cab I have V30'S and G12 T-75'S. I love that combo. It's my favorite. But I am thinking of going a bit different tonal direction. I like grit and not too dark!

I've listened to 30 videos today comparing speaker after speaker on YouTube etc.
    I have really liked the eminence man o war, the wgs reaper, and the celestion KT 100 so far.

I have experience with Texas heat, swamp thang, wgs veterans, and previously listed celestions, and other celestions.

Here is a sample of the music I play for your reference:

I'm ok to mix the cabinet, but no further than 2 pairs. Also needs to be higher wattage rather than lower. Just my thoughts.

What are your suggestions?
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 08-02-2020, 05:43 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Why don't you just go back to the Texas Heat/Swamp Thang combination?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems like the swamp thangs are too dark.

Comment

Might want to look at the WGS Retro 30 or the ET 60. I found the Vet 30 to be VERY dark and dull sounding but really like the Retro and the ET for high gain stuff. Also the Celestian Creamback 65 and the G12 H 30's are very nice.
        Clip from this morning of my Purple Carvin DC 127 through the PRS MT 15 pushing a Fender 2 /12 miced loaded with WGS Retro 30's.
        Last edited by Ascension; 08-02-2020, 08:30 PM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Not a fan of the Man O War, has too much high end sizzle which I wasn't a fan of. But V30s and metal you cant go wrong

Comment

K/V like in the David Laboga cabs. This is a good representation IMO.

Comment

I'm actually leaning towards k100 and manowars.

i like sizzle for the most part, unless it gets crazy.

Thinking the k100 will be a touch darker and the manowars brighter, might sound good together.

I'm thinking the k100 will be similar to my T-75'S but different enough, and the manowars will be a touch brighter than the V30'S.... Anyone think that's right or wrong? One thing for certain, it'll get loud af!

Comment

ManoWars are brighter, seem more present and don't seem as scooped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m3fYmCeJK0 This video gives some idea...

Comment

How about this combo: EVM 12L with the Celestion Classic Lead (Lead 80)?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the creambacks in a Marshall I like the 65. But I put a 75 in a peavey 6505 plus combo and it sounded real good. It tamed some of the harshness and smoothed it out. It kind of made it sound like the dsl40 with creamback 65 but a little meaner and fuller EQ.

Comment

I think Man O Wars are attrocious-sounding. Fizzy, icepicky, hollow, ratty... you name it, LOL. In general, I feel their line of British-voiced speakers sound alright.. until you compare them to actual Celestions. There's always something off with them, JMO. I'd still like to try their CV-75, though.

I have a pair of Creamback H-75's in my Marshall cab that I love both in the room and mic'd up. They have the same low-mid heft as Mesa UK Vintage 30, but more aggression and sizzle up top.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 08-05-2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

My favorite is GT75s. An a 10band EQ. Besides how the speakers perform at the boundary conditions, they mostly are different because of EQ. The 75s are some of the more hi-fi speakers.

Comment

4 V30s is an unmatchable combination. Just do that.

Comment

To be honest with you man my favorite speaker ever now is a Creamback H75.

I spent a LONG time listening to tons of speaker comparison videos and took a chance on a new Mesa 2x12 loaded with h75 Creambacks, the speakers are absolutely killer.

They are basically like greenbacks but higher wattage and don't flub out, and sound more aggressive to me. They aren't as ear piercing as V30's and have a smoothed out high end but the midrange is heavy and colorful, with a thick bottom end but not loose and out of control like with 70/80's or sometimes g12-t75's. Also they are insanely easy to mic up.

Comment

Great prices right now on some of the old celestion classics. Well relatively speaking. A few years back these would be high prices.

https://avatarspeakers.com/product-c...new-old-stock/

Comment

Working...
                              X