Speaker guys, talk to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deathbytinnitus View Post
    To be honest with you man my favorite speaker ever now is a Creamback H75.

I spent a LONG time listening to tons of speaker comparison videos and took a chance on a new Mesa 2x12 loaded with h75 Creambacks, the speakers are absolutely killer.

They are basically like greenbacks but higher wattage and don't flub out, and sound more aggressive to me. They aren't as ear piercing as V30's and have a smoothed out high end but the midrange is heavy and colorful, with a thick bottom end but not loose and out of control like with 70/80's or sometimes g12-t75's. Also they are insanely easy to mic up.
    I agree!

I'm not sure about the smoothed high-end, though. They've got some sizzle up top, but agreed, they're not as piercing as V30's. Their high-end is more "sizzly" than "icepicky", but they've still got some nice detail up top.

They do mic up great!

Comment

I always wanted an alnico, hemp cone speaker for my blackstar.

But I cant afford it, until I'm 35. (five years from now)....

In that time, i guess the stock speaker is worn in like a pair of old jeans; and gives me what I need.

Honestly, I have no clue about speakers; other than that I prefer Alnico magnet ones; hemp coned ones-

and that the old JBL Studio 200w 12" speaker in my old Marshall was truly beautiful sounding.

best wishes.

-Erl
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

For tight metal I think ceramic speakers are the way to go rather than alnico.

I'm a celestion snob and just keep in mind, as you may know, there are I think 4 different "V30" speakers by celestion if I recall correctly but if I'm wrong it doesn't matter because the original is the best:
        -marshall vintage by celestion. These are the original. My fave. Exclusive to Marshall only. You cannot buy them from anyone other than marshall. Huge H magnet stands for heavy.
        -mesa exclusive v30. More low mids.
        -v30 from celestion. UK made.
        -v30 from celestion. Chinese made.

The original vintage is slash's speaker of choice. It's very transparent and never loses control at higher volumes. It doesn't color or alter the guitar tone. The EQ is also just right to cut through the band mix. If you make a mistake playing it will be heard.

The creamback 75s are on my radar for clean rich mid clean jingle jangle. I'd be surprised if they're good for metal.

Comment

How about a half stack with 12M-70's?

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
            Just got my hands on a 1960ax. Loaded with 25w greenback reissues. Sounds good, but! A little flubby at high volume chugga chugga.

I'm considering swapping speakers out.

In my other cab I have V30'S and G12 T-75'S. I love that combo. It's my favorite. But I am thinking of going a bit different tonal direction. I like grit and not too dark!

I've listened to 30 videos today comparing speaker after speaker on YouTube etc.
            I have really liked the eminence man o war, the wgs reaper, and the celestion KT 100 so far.

I have experience with Texas heat, swamp thang, wgs veterans, and previously listed celestions, and other celestions.

Here is a sample of the music I play for your reference:

I'm ok to mix the cabinet, but no further than 2 pairs. Also needs to be higher wattage rather than lower. Just my thoughts.

What are your suggestions?
            Have you thought about mixing the Greenbacks with the V30 and 12T-75, like 2 Greenbacks with one of each of the others, in the same cab? Because the overall mix sounds killer.

Comment

Yes I have actually.

But I'm still not sure where I'm going. I don't hate these greenbacks. They're just more vintage than brutal to me.
              they sound good until I punish them, then they give out a bit.

I may play with amps and pedals a bit more and find how to make these sing.

​​​​​​
              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                Yes I have actually.

But I'm still not sure where I'm going. I don't hate these greenbacks. They're just more vintage than brutal to me.
                they sound good until I punish them, then they give out a bit.

I may play with amps and pedals a bit more and find how to make these sing.

​​​​​​
                If you mix them with the V30 and T-75, those speakers will pick up the slack when the Greenbacks start to give out. So you won't lose the bottom and top, but the mids will take on a life of their own.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

One of the best sounding cabs I've ever played through was a 1960a with the t75/m25 combo in an X.
                  I like the x-pattern in slants especially. In straight baffle cabs I like the warmer speaker on top and the more hi-fi on bottom.
                  Last edited by dave74; 08-09-2020, 04:55 AM.

Comment

I love greenbacks, but chugga chugga is not their strong point. Just about anything is going to work better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                      I love greenbacks, but chugga chugga is not their strong point. Just about anything is going to work better for you.
                      Agreed. Mixing the greenback with more efficient and higher powered speakers is like lighting a scented candle in a cake eating contest porta potty.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

Agreed. Mixing the greenback with more efficient and higher powered speakers is like lighting a scented candle in a cake eating contest porta potty.
                        Just wanted to note again that the t75 is not more efficient, just more "hi-fi" in tone. They make a really aggressive yet still warm combination.

Comment

Found this video right now! Very cool!

-Erl

EDIT: I was asked If I'd buy a 2x12 blackstar extension cab for my amp.

But I think I'll invest the money in a replacement speaker instead.

I'll get a low-wattage (tops 30w) alnico magnet, hemp material speaker .
                          a Weber I guess.

\m/
                          Last edited by Erlend_G; 08-11-2020, 04:39 AM.
                          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

That's a bit more graphic than I would say, but you do you I'd say it's like cutting a cake with a spoon. You can do it, but it's not going to be pretty and there are other tools better suited to the task.

Comment

Probably going with 16ohm k100s and man o wars.
                              selling an amp off. Soon as I get funds I'll order speakers I think. Should compliment my T75/V30 cabinet really well.
                              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I had cone cry from my greenbacks before at higher volumes.

Comment

Working...
                                X