Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer84
    replied
    If you're going with the same speaker I'd suggest a pair of Creamback 65's. If you're going to mix it up I'd suggest one Creamback 65 and one Creamback 75.

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    Yeah you'll want the X in a slant , or else it would have two totally different sounding beams.

Cool they still have the 16ohm k100 . Not many places stock them anymore, especially at that price.
    That's what I have in my avatar sig212 so that it makes an 8ohm cab to run alongside my recto 212. They're like peanut butter and jelly on steroids!

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Sorry man, but I'm far more interested in those K's.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Metal
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Dude, X-pattern all the way.
    Wish I could say that I wanted a Greenback.

I wish you could say you want 4 of em! Ha ha ha! Save me from shipping them.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Dude, X-pattern all the way.
    Wish I could say that I wanted a Greenback.

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Metal
    replied
    Well I just sold an amp, so I pulled the trigger on new speakers!
    ordered 2 Celestion G12 K-100s and 2 Eminence Man O Wars, 16ohms. Got the k100s from avatar, thanks for the tip Dave! I got the manowars off eBay.

Should all be in late next week.... Then I'll have some greenbacks for sale!

Wondering if I should install them in a typical X pattern, or put the k100's on bottom and manowars in the top?
    Leaning towards X pattern unless someone enlightens me why I shouldn't.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 08-12-2020, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    If you mix them with the V30 and T-75, those speakers will pick up the slack when the Greenbacks start to give out. So you won't lose the bottom and top, but the mids will take on a life of their own.

Agreed....I’d mix the speakers up too.

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    I'll admit I never got to run the t75/m25 cab at band volumes. The practice volume tone was an especially good thing but I can't speak for band-level performance.

Another great pairing for the k100 would be with the classic-lead 80. Same magnet and efficiency but certainly different characters. That's what I would get if I was wanting something not a v30 but still wanted some of that typical celestion mid-presence. They are $89 also at avatar.

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of 8ohm k100. Didn't get taxed either. With shipping it was $203 be here Thursday.
    These are going into my late 90's recto slant-baffle straight-shell cab. It has the darker silver piping, thicker basket-weave cloth, and the older 70w mesa v30s.
    Going with the X-pattern since it's a slant baffle.

Snagged this cab local a few years ago for $400! Just a few very minor tolex scuffs and the old-style handles were very chipped and rusted. Got new handles from mesa with their newer foam seals. Grill is mint and nothing had ever been opened-up. I'll have to take the handles back off to tap the back from the inside. Those old glue seals age way too solid lol.

edit;
    and before anyone tells me I'm ruining a perfectly good recto cab,,,,,,

1. Many people say they suck anyways so what's the loss lol.,,,,,,, with their massive size and "mud-tone". (even though a recto slant is barely any bigger internally than any standard size bottom cab) That heavy lumber does indeed darken the highs though to be fair.

2. I have another. The real "mesa monster" recto over-sized straight-baffle.
    It might be the most controllable/detailed cab I've ever played through. (tremonti's favorite cab too btw)

The older slant has a slightly more relaxed feel and more midrange focus. The newer cab has more sonic spread and a more aggressive tighter thump even though the airspace is larger. Might be that the speakers aren't nearly as old or well used, or it could be a slight v30 change when they went to the standard 60w rating.(?)
    Mesa says they are the same speaker (same OEM mesa v30), but we all know how tiny component changes or material can have an effect.

Last edited by dave74; 08-12-2020, 02:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• esandes
    replied
    I had cone cry from my greenbacks before at higher volumes.

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Metal
    replied
    Probably going with 16ohm k100s and man o wars.
    selling an amp off. Soon as I get funds I'll order speakers I think. Should compliment my T75/V30 cabinet really well.

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied
    Originally posted by esandes View Post

Agreed. Mixing the greenback with more efficient and higher powered speakers is like lighting a scented candle in a cake eating contest porta potty.
    That's a bit more graphic than I would say, but you do you I'd say it's like cutting a cake with a spoon. You can do it, but it's not going to be pretty and there are other tools better suited to the task.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied

Found this video right now! Very cool!

-Erl

EDIT: I was asked If I'd buy a 2x12 blackstar extension cab for my amp.

But I think I'll invest the money in a replacement speaker instead.

I'll get a low-wattage (tops 30w) alnico magnet, hemp material speaker .
    a Weber I guess.

\m/
    Last edited by Erlend_G; 08-11-2020, 04:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    Originally posted by esandes View Post

Agreed. Mixing the greenback with more efficient and higher powered speakers is like lighting a scented candle in a cake eating contest porta potty.
    Just wanted to note again that the t75 is not more efficient, just more "hi-fi" in tone. They make a really aggressive yet still warm combination.

Leave a comment:

• esandes
    replied
    Originally posted by chadd View Post
    I love greenbacks, but chugga chugga is not their strong point. Just about anything is going to work better for you.

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied
    I love greenbacks, but chugga chugga is not their strong point. Just about anything is going to work better for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X