banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powerstage 170 and/or 200 in half rack package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerstage 170 and/or 200 in half rack package?

I bought a Powerstage 170 for my modeling rig and it's done more for my sound than any power amp I've tried in 30 years--Mesa and Marshall tube amps included.

Unfortunately, my rig is a rack and I have to lightly velcro it to the bottom of the rack into 2 half rack spaces and pull it out to adjust.

I'd really like to see a half rack version of the PS 170 or 200 with a 1/4" output jack. Don't want or need the features or power of the 700.

Would anybody else like to see this?

Welcome to the forum! I get that the form factor was designed to use on a pedalboard, which is more common than racks these days.
    I might try getting a rack shelf and using some zipties.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I guess the PS 700 would be better suited in a rack space.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Yeah, it would, although I don't think it is 1 rack space...I think it is a little bigger, so you need 2 spaces to put it in, which leaves space above and below it. One of the reasons you can't make one of these for 1/2 rack space is that you need the cooling on all sides. It can't be stuffed in a rack like that as it generates too much heat.

Comment

The innovation was that they put it in a pedal.

There have to be a TON of solid state rack power amps that will work just as well and cost less. IMO.

This cant be the only SS poweramp with built in eq?/?

Comment

Wow! I didn't realize the PS700 was 2.2" high. What a giant design blunder! Fit a good 200W in a half rack space and you have a sales winner. Not everybody wants a POD.

Comment

An ART SLA-1 or 2 would be perfect for this. Neither has tone controls, but I would think you'd cover that with whatever your front end was.

Comment

I get the little bigger than one rack space. When you have a power amp that generates heat, such as a Class D power amp with that much power, you need to have room around it for the heat to escape. This isn't like the old Marshall SS single rack space power amps. With something like the 170 or 200, if it wasn't on the pedalboard, I'd probably have it on a shelf in the rack like Mincer mentioned. I've been toying with going the route of a 170 with a preamp pedal setup, possibly even the Tech21 Plexi FlyRig.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  I get the little bigger than one rack space. When you have a power amp that generates heat, such as a Class D power amp with that much power, you need to have room around it for the heat to escape. This isn't like the old Marshall SS single rack space power amps. With something like the 170 or 200, if it wasn't on the pedalboard, I'd probably have it on a shelf in the rack like Mincer mentioned. I've been toying with going the route of a 170 with a preamp pedal setup, possibly even the Tech21 Plexi FlyRig.
                  The PS with a FlyRig would be amazing. That's one legit rig, right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

The PS with a FlyRig would be amazing. That's one legit rig, right there.
                    That with a nice 1x12 cab or 2x12. Maybe have an overdrive out front of the FlyRig. Compact, lightweight and could work anywhere.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 09-03-2020, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Even the PS700 doesn’t work that great in a rack. It appears that the rack ears were an afterthought.

my biggest issue is the power switch on the back and the inputs on the front. (Not a huge deal if it’s not in a rack) Realistically the built in IR-XLR sends should be on the front. if I’m ever allowed to play live music again I don’t want some underpaid sound guy digging around in the back of my rack case for direct connection.

Powering up is always a back and forth which is obnoxious. I bought the ps700 in December of last year and it showed up in the middle of our Armageddon, and while it sounds amazing, I feel like some of the features are unreasonable for the cost. The 1.3u rack spacing and inputs in the front are gonna make your rack look kind of messy regardless of what you do. If you care about that stuff. I did find a .5u vented rack panel which helps quite a bit.

when it comes to the power button, I’m not sure I can just leave it on all the time and just flip the switch on my furman. The manual is like a paragraph of information so I’m not entirely sure where to even ask for details on those specifics.

Comment

For the answers to those questions, contact the manufacturer directly.

Comment

Working...
                        X