NAD: Positive Grid Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Positive Grid Spark

Have actually had it for nearly a week. A brief review of its many functions:

1) As a small electric guitar amp: pretty good, once you dial out the crazy amount of bass in most of the patches. I don't know why, but everything is voiced VERY darkly by default.

2) As an amp controlled by your phone: mostly works, though I've run into times where I need to un/reconnect to get the sound to change along with the app.

3) As a jam-along toy with premade backing tracks: great. The cabinet is very full range, so the backing tracks sound good. This also makes it a better than average Bluetooth speaker.

4) As a jam-along you with custom backing tracks: it mostly works.

5) As a learning tool: pretty impressive. I had it analyze some songs I already knew and while the results weren't spot-on, they'd be good enough to point you in the right direction. The capo thing is especially cool.

I still haven't tried it as a recording interface, or as a bass or acoustic guitar amp. I'll report back when do.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Its crazy what they are packing into these things now!

About ten years ago, there was a computer game/program called Rocksmith. It had an auto accompany program built in, which was pretty cool for the first few minutes. Digitech also made a pedal that did the same thing. I wonder if thye bought the tech?

Comment

I was curious about this one. A student was raving about his, and it seems like you get a lot for your money. I am guessing most people won't access half of what is available. But I am happy amps like this exist. I think most people don't want giant amps all the time- they want something small that blends into the home decor that is easy to use and sounds great.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I was curious about this one. A student was raving about his, and it seems like you get a lot for your money. I am guessing most people won't access half of what is available. But I am happy amps like this exist. I think most people don't want giant amps all the time- they want something small that blends into the home decor that is easy to use and sounds great.
        Giant amps ARE home decor
        -
        My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Yeah, the Trio is a very good touchstone for the capabilities in the generated-accompaniment realm. That's pretty much exactly how good the Spark is at it. Nothing new, but still nice to have built in. I wouldn't mind a looper function, but for $225, this thing is already overflowing.

I think, as far as these types of amps go, I still like the sound of my Vox Adio more, but it was both a little more expensive and doesn't have most of the - actually cool and useful, imo - bells and whistles this thing does (plus a completely USELESS app) so on balance, I think this is probably the best home practice/noodling amp on the market.

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
          Digitech also made a pedal that did the same thing. I wonder if thye bought the tech?
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree. Given that these are being sold direct and marketed online, it seems to me they're aiming primarily at an audience comfortable with the tech. You certainly CAN use it just with the knobs on top, but I'd be very surprised if that's how their customers actually end up using it.

I will say that once you open the app, finding and using the advanced features is SUPER simple.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I am guessing most people won't access half of what is available.

Comment

I'm not SUPER impressed with the Spark as a bass amp, but it does the job okay. I loaded up some of the new bass jam-along tracks today and had some fun.

Fun is probably THE watchword for this thing. It's a fantastic musical toy. The sounds are all good enoguh and the extra features (and ease of accessing them) make it a real joy to use.

Comment

That makes me think that it may record well.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I suspect you may be right, as my parts sit VERY well in the mixes with the jam-along tracks, and even pretty well when I'm playing along with full songs from YouTube, though there, of course, I'm essentially doubling an existing part, so it's a fine line between being buried and being overpowering.

I will say that direct usb recording is NOT something the Adio excels at. I had mine set up for a while to record into Logic, then playback through nearfield monitors and man... I don't know if the usb signal gets stripped of cabinet emulation or what, but it's bad.

Originally posted by Demanic;n601 2676
                  That makes me think that it may record well.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m glad to read this, I have been very curious about these things.

I have young kids, so I don't leave my guitar amp out in the open so it doesn't get damaged, having a desktop gizmo that sounds pretty good is very appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                      Yeah, the Trio is a very good touchstone for the capabilities in the generated-accompaniment realm. That's pretty much exactly how good the Spark is at it. Nothing new, but still nice to have built in. I wouldn't mind a looper function, but for $225, this thing is already overflowing.

I think, as far as these types of amps go, I still like the sound of my Vox Adio more, but it was both a little more expensive and doesn't have most of the - actually cool and useful, imo - bells and whistles this thing does (plus a completely USELESS app) so on balance, I think this is probably the best home practice/noodling amp on the market.

Where’d you find it for $225?

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

From Positive Grid. I guess that was a preorder price and now they've gone up? I got an email from them yesterday that said you can use the promo code "REFER40" and get $40 off whatever they are now. I feel like a shill sharing that, but I swear that a) I have no connection to the company and b) I'm not getting anything if you use that code.

BTW, I meant to come back and amend my review of its bass capabilities: I tried it first with my Gretsch bass, which has low output humbuckers in it and it wasn't very impressive: there was a lot of self-noise in the amp when I turned it up, even with no added distortion. I tried it a couple of day ago with my active bass and it's WORLDS better. It just needs a strong signal to overcome the noise floor. It's actually kinda kickass with that bass.

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post

Where’d you find it for $225?

Comment

I just ordered one as well with their labor day 10% off. It seems like a lot of features at the price. Cant wait it to come in.

Comment

So… it’s been almost a year, is everyone still using theirs? I need a simple but decent sounding practice amp, and this looks great.

Can someone fill me in on the backing track comments above?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I bought one a while back and took it to my vacation house. It is still in its original packing box but I will use it next time I am there. It's a pretty cool little set-up and very much worth its price IMO.
                              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
                              X