Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender vs. Fender vs. Fender

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fender vs. Fender vs. Fender

    Quick teenage-like question.

    I can get a 1st gen Hot Rod Deluxe (40W), a 1975 (silver face) Twin Reverb & 1991/2 redknob (60W) Super 210, for the same price.

    I am thinking mostly good quality (no ice pick) clean tones.

    Which amp would be the best for that ?
    Guitars will have all sorts of pick ups : various humbuckers, Tele, Strat, and various P90's & 'bucker sized P90's.


    Thanks to all.

    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

  • #2
    The 1975 SF Twin is the best quality of those by a wide margin. If you can handle the weight of the amp (literally) then go for that one. It's a hand wired vintage amp.

    The Hot Rod series of amps were plagued with reliability issues which they didn't resolve until the 3rd generation of them. They're a perfectly fine mid-level affordable amp when you want to step up to a gig level solution. One that old is going to require service though (and they're not fun to service and the techs I've talked to hate them).

    The Super 210 is a solid state amp and if someone is charging as much as a Twin or HRD then that's total rip off.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

    At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

    Comment


    • #3
      That shouldn’t even be a question, take the Twin!!!

      Definitely the best amplifier of the bunch, not that the others are awful or anything...

      They would all give you nice Fender-iey cleans, take pedals well, Etc., so it really comes down to build quality & at least for me how easy they are to work on if problems should arise...

      Having all your components on a actual board vs PCB is a big plus IMHO....
      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

      Comment


      • #4
        P.S. The transformers in the Super 60’s were super prone to failure as I recall. I think tube sockets melting down was also a issue with some too???

        Anyway, my point was with proper maintenance, which is made easier by the circuit board layout & classic Fender filter can, that Twin could easily outlive us all....
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

        Comment


        • #5
          Twin for teh win

          Comment


          • #6
            The Twin will certainly sound the best, but lugging that around isn't fun at all. That would be a big concern for me, anyway.
            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

            Comment


            • #7
              Yep, twin.

              And a pneumatic wheeled trolley. There's big iron x2 in that thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                The 1975 SF Twin is the best quality of those by a wide margin. If you can handle the weight of the amp (literally) then go for that one. It's a hand wired vintage amp.

                The Hot Rod series of amps were plagued with reliability issues which they didn't resolve until the 3rd generation of them. They're a perfectly fine mid-level affordable amp when you want to step up to a gig level solution. One that old is going to require service though (and they're not fun to service and the techs I've talked to hate them).

                The Super 210 is a solid state amp and if someone is charging as much as a Twin or HRD then that's total rip off.
                W O W . . . that i did not know.

                The Super 210 is being advertised as an all valve amp.
                I shall look more into that !

                Thank you very much !

                Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                  The 1975 SF Twin is the best quality of those by a wide margin. If you can handle the weight of the amp (literally) then go for that one. It's a hand wired vintage amp.

                  The Hot Rod series of amps were plagued with reliability issues which they didn't resolve until the 3rd generation of them. They're a perfectly fine mid-level affordable amp when you want to step up to a gig level solution. One that old is going to require service though (and they're not fun to service and the techs I've talked to hate them).

                  The Super 210 is a solid state amp and if someone is charging as much as a Twin or HRD then that's total rip off.
                  Reverb too says it is an all valve amp.

                  https://reverb.com/item/32905511-fen...ombo-1990-1992
                  Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                    P.S. The transformers in the Super 60’s were super prone to failure as I recall. I think tube sockets melting down was also a issue with some too???

                    Anyway, my point was with proper maintenance, which is made easier by the circuit board layout & classic Fender filter can, that Twin could easily outlive us all....


                    Looks like is will be chatting to the seller of the Twin Reverb then.
                    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

                      Reverb too says it is an all valve amp.

                      https://reverb.com/item/32905511-fen...ombo-1990-1992
                      My mistake. Fender had a bunch of solid state amps in that era that had the names of previous tube amps. The Princeton Chorus comes to mind.

                      Either way the Super 210 isn't popular and you see very few of them. Tube doesn't always mean good.
                      -
                      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

                      At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My local jr. high school had two "Hot Rod Deluxe" amplifiers;

                        to my ears-

                        VERY "ice picky" bright, a brightness that could not be dialed out no matter what EQ settings. And a "high gain" channel that sounded... well.. :/ not good to my ears.

                        I'd go for one of the two others. .

                        -Erl
                        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          does the twin have the boost and master volume? its still probably the best amp of the three even if it does but its heavy, and kinda obnoxiously so. i had a twin for a while and it became a drag hauling it if you move it a lot like i did. the twins of the later sf years dont sound like the older sf ones or the bf ones. they can still be good amps though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'd take the Twin. I just finished completely overhauling my Blues Deluxe Reissue (similar to Hot Rods in circuit topology), new filter caps, new resistors, new speaker, re-wiring the main PCB to allow the Master Volume to control the clean and dirty channels. Removed all of the crappy ribbon cables connecting the PCB's. About $250.00 of components, and 8 hours labor to get a mediocre sounding amp to actually sound good. I'll be tracking it in the studio this fall (hopefully), that will be the litmus test.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              so the clean channel has the volume control and the dirty channel just has a gain control and the master controls both?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X