No announcement yet.

NGD: Custom Mauler 2X12 with H&K GrandMeister Deluxe 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Mauler is retiring from cab building. I wish he would have communicated this to me before today. I sent him the specs for my bass cabs last week. He said it should work. Now he is saying he was not going to take the order. Yeah, probably time for retirement after all this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200819-084137_One UI Home.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	6010667
    Soundcloud

Comment

I would just have him ship a speaker to you and then you can ship the other back in the box it came in. Anything can happen to that cab in the hands of the shipping company.

Comment

Yeah. I asked him to send me the speaker. I hope it arrives soon. I am getting quotes from 3 different local electronic repair shops. I found one in my tiny ass town of 800 people. So, I am pretty happy about that.
        Soundcloud

Comment

sucks all around. thats a beautiful cab and covering job. its a shame the easiest part got messed up somehow

Comment

This isn't good, but it sounds like he is making it right. It is also a good time to learn how to wire these things yourself, and get a proper soldering iron. This could be a very easy fix, but for someone that doesn't know how to do this, it can be terrifying. I'd start reading about this kind of thing- even when you get it back, it has the same chance of shipping causing a wiring job to come loose. It isn't a big deal if you learn how these things are wired...you can just check and fix it yourself.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Did you check the fuse on the amp?
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                Did you check the fuse on the amp?
                Not yet, but I assume the fuse is okay if I got audio with my bass cab...
                Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  This isn't good, but it sounds like he is making it right. It is also a good time to learn how to wire these things yourself, and get a proper soldering iron. This could be a very easy fix, but for someone that doesn't know how to do this, it can be terrifying. I'd start reading about this kind of thing- even when you get it back, it has the same chance of shipping causing a wiring job to come loose. It isn't a big deal if you learn how these things are wired...you can just check and fix it yourself.
                  Yes. This is all true, but, I do not have much spare time at all. I would rather pay somebody to do these things or even pay a roadie when travel is necessary at this point, should these kind of repairs become common. However, in my 22 years as a musician, this is the first time a wire has come loose in any cab from my collection. I've had speakers blow, amps need repair, but never have I had a speaker wire come loose inside a cab. So, I do not imagine this is going to be a common problem with most cabs I encounter.
                  Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post
                    Took the back off. Here is the culprit... but anybody know where it belongs to make this cab 8 ohms?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_235419.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	6010613
                    They're 16 ohm speakers, so connect it to the opposite terminal of the Swamp Thang. The speaker may not be right, but connecting it that way should work and result in an 8 ohm load. No soldering necessary.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

They're 16 ohm speakers, so connect it to the opposite terminal of the Swamp Thang. The speaker may not be right, but connecting it that way should work and result in an 8 ohm load. No soldering necessary.
                      Thank you!
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Well, I hooked it up but the wire clips from the Mauler-installed wire were not cutting it for me at all. So, I went to my car audio electronics and found a wire I liked better, used some better clips, no solder, etc... and I have not stopped playing it since.

The proper speaker should be here Tuesday, but for now I am playing it with the Swamp Thang.

It is 3 a.m. here and I am rockin' the 1 watt power soak option. I really should sleep but.... I do not want to...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_030525.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	6011291
                        Soundcloud

Comment

How does the combination sound, keeping in mind that the speakers aren't broken in?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

It sounds good on the power soak option, but I really want to stretch its legs out today with the full 40 watts. I play about 3 hours a day, so it will be a while before the speakers are broken in, but I will give the Swamp Thang a fair shake until the other C-Rex arrives on Tuesday.
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Taking a break to cook some dinner, but wow. Put me down as an authentic H&K fan! This thing is nasty, versatile as $@%! and I don't even know how to use half of it yet.

As for the cab, it sounds big! Real big. I do not think a 4x12 will ever be necessary for this particular amp head, for my needs. Who knows though, that could change someday. I look forward to rocking two Crex speakers in the 2x12 but the combo with the Swamp Thang sounds good. That Swamp Thang is one heavy speaker though... no thanks for this cab.
                              Soundcloud

Comment

Really glad you're digging the tones the amp provides. I took the plunge when it was released, after considering the 36, but this one, from YT videos, seemed more on par with my kind of tone, and I needed a light, mid-powered, multichannel head.

Some find the H&K tones to be too clinical, with no character whatsoever. To me, the versatilty this head allows is its true character, allowing close-to-vintage clean and cruch tones up to modern high gain, in a fully featured, lightweight package.

Rock on, and good luck with the cab issues, really hope you find what you're looking for!
                                Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                                X