Tone Master Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Master Deluxe

I know, I know. But man, I tried a TM Deluxe next to a early 2000's 65 Reissue Deluxe and it was startling. For those who can't get (and maintain) a vintage late 60s Deluxe, it ain't a bad option. I don't know if I'd pay full price for one, but a 23 pound Deluxe (and a 35 pound Twin) with a direct-to-PA XLR might work for a gigging player. Anyone try one of these? I was pretty knocked out by the dead clean sound (everything up to 4 with humbuckers) and the edge-of-breakup sounds. And the reverb, even on 10, was indistinguishable from the tube version. I'd say the basic tone of the amp is about 95% of the reissue version (and there was at least a 5% difference in tone between that 65 Reissue and a more recent Reissue).
    There are lots of versions of the tube Reissues out now, with Creambacks, different Jensens, pine cabs, etc. Does it make sense to spend $$ on a PCB tube amp, or go all in with modeling?
    Given the choice, I'd get a early 70s Pro Reverb, but my amp tech moved out of state, and I don't want to carry one. I also don't have the $$ to dump into a vintage amp.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Don't know. All I know is that I miss my Carvin 100 watt X Amp combo.
    Talk about cleans. And loud cleans too.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

ive tried the tone masters and found them kinda flat and lacking, but i feel the same way about the reissues. i know im spoiled since i use an old one most of the time, but im spoiled. they dont cut it for me but i can see how they could work great for lots of people. my rig is typically guitar->maybe an overdrive->amp. as a pedal platform for someone that uses effects, i can see these being nice. especially with the xlr outs and such.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        ive tried the tone masters and found them kinda flat and lacking, but i feel the same way about the reissues. i know im spoiled since i use an old one most of the time, but im spoiled. they dont cut it for me but i can see how they could work great for lots of people. my rig is typically guitar->maybe an overdrive->amp. as a pedal platform for someone that uses effects, i can see these being nice. especially with the xlr outs and such.
        Yeah, I'd figure that the reissues don't really hold up to a vintage amp, either. So when comparing a reissue to a Tone Master, you are dealing with 2 amps that sound inferior to a vintage example.

Comment

yep. i also bought mine for $600 so didnt pay a lot for it. its a tool to make music, its one i like a lot and have become accustomed to, but its just a tool. if i was looking at spending $2k, i probably would find something else

Comment

Every now and then I consider trading my custom Princeton Reverb for a tone master deluxe

I like the idea of not having to retube ever again
            I like the low weight
            And I like that while I can still hear something kinda "flat" at least in videos , versus the DRRI, it seems ridiculously close for modeling. Good enough for jamming at home.
            and they put a wattage control on it.

But my PR has a little different sound and feel from a DR and I dunno about giving that up.

If they come out with a tone master PR I will most certainly be interested

Comment

I've heard a Princeton and a Super are on the list to get the Tone Master treatment. They are also coming out with firmware updates that further refine the sound, too. It is tempting, especially as prices drop.
              If I had over $2k, I'd buy a Carr Roamer, and if I could maintain a vintage Deluxe, I'd consider that, too. I need to spend more time with the Tone Master Deluxe to make a decision. It is just that the 65 Reissues do sound different from one another depending on the year- like many tube amps. Is consistency and light weight (and no more microphones) worth it? That's where I am at.

Comment

Been eyeing that one since it came out. But since I'm considering relocating to another country where noise in an apartment is really frowned upon and involves hefty fines, it's a no for me.
                Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I think the Fender Deluxe is the most perfect amp ever made.

Comment

ive found my old deluxe reverb to be a damn near perfect fit for me

Comment

Deluxes, to me, are the perfect amp size. My Boogie is sort of a modified Deluxe with 2 6v6s, but it is a little thicker in the mids. Playing a Deluxe last week (a reissue), I remember how awesome it sounds.
                      The new reissues have a lot of different versions, with Creambacks, Greenbacks, and various Jensens. I don't know what is considered a great Deluxe speaker these days. The new blonde Tone Masters coming out have a neo Creamback. I think the speakers can make up some of the differences in these amps.

Comment

the tone master takes care of the big issue with the twin reverb, wont be surprised if it sells well

Comment

There is also a Super Reverb now, too. But I spent some time with the Twin, too. If you like pedals (and you do) and higher volumes, the Twin is the one. My Deluxe will start to distort a bit right at band volumes (in a really great way), but I can see the Twin being the one to get if you like it dead clean.

Comment

With a name like "Tone Master", surely it is the creme de la creme; the King Of Tone which doth ruleth over all of Tonedom.

Comment

marketing 101! tone master, king of tone must be awesome! although i really liked the old fender tonemaster now that im remembering it

Comment

Working...
                              X