banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have the spiders not sounded like complete garbage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC, the Spidervalve is a bit of a different beast from the other Spiders, since it's not really a modelling amp but rather a tube amp that has some onboard digital effects you can put in the loop if you want.

Comment

My Father used to have a saying that describes these amps, "too much candy for a nickel".

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
        IIRC, the Spidervalve is a bit of a different beast from the other Spiders, since it's not really a modelling amp but rather a tube amp that has some onboard digital effects you can put in the loop if you want.
        Not exactly. It's a modeling amp front end going into a tube power amp. It does also have quite a selection of on board effects as well as an actual loop that can be used if those aren't enough.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

A buddy of mine has a Blackstar ID Core 100W something-or-other.
          I thought it sounded pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
            Oddly, I've always felt that cleans were the strongest part of the Spider line; very clear and clean, maybe "sterile" but they get the job done just fine. Barely overdriven is still the weakest part of the line, though, I agree on that (but it's still a LOT better than the III or IV, and really probably better than the cheap solid-state practice amps that made the non-Spider bottom-of-the-line when I started learning ~15 years ago).

The speaker was always the biggest problem, though. The Spider heads into a decent cab weren't anywhere near as awful as the cheap combos, but obviously no-one who is serious enough for a big head + cab setup is going to get a Spider head, so the point was kind of moot.
            I used mostly cleans, and 'sterile' is a good word. Like if you plugged your guitar directly to a PA system. Other companies do the clean modeling so much better. I think the Spider is for people who like a lot of gain, as it does that pretty well, in a 90s death metal kinda way.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Good thoughts here, I only tried the spider with high gain so cant comment om the cleans. Reading about the Spidervalve makes me a little nostalgic for those things. I remember playing those and the vypyr tubes back when they came out and believing theybwere the future of modeling.

Comment

Makes me want to go out to the garage and fire mine up.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Demanic; 08-25-2020, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  A buddy of mine has a Blackstar ID Core 100W something-or-other.
                  I thought it sounded pretty decent.
                  I had one of the smaller ID:Core ones, I think 2x20 watts...

It had a selection of 6 different preamp "settings";

but I found that the clean's wouldn't breakup,
                  the breakup wouldn't clean up
                  And the high gain was.... very high gain and great for metal.

I really liked the onboard stereo reverb, four different settings- far superior to the onboard reverb on my HT-20 :o

Never tried a Spider though.

\m/
                  If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

I had one of the smaller ID:Core ones, I think 2x20 watts...

It had a selection of 6 different preamp "settings";

but I found that the clean's wouldn't breakup,
                    the breakup wouldn't clean up
                    And the high gain was.... very high gain and great for metal.

I really liked the onboard stereo reverb, four different settings- far superior to the onboard reverb on my HT-20 :o

Never tried a Spider though.

\m/
                    Yeah, you’re right. Now that you mention it the cleans don’t break up and the amp itself isn’t that versatile.
                    But for my friend who is a beginner, it works for him. It’s a much better setup than I had when I first started.

Comment

Originally posted by jimman View Post
                      Good thoughts here, I only tried the spider with high gain so cant comment om the cleans. Reading about the Spidervalve makes me a little nostalgic for those things. I remember playing those and the vypyr tubes back when they came out and believing theybwere the future of modeling.
                      I think your experience is common, as most people who buy the amp are only interested in high gain. It actually does that well, if not dynamically. I'd be happy with it if that is what I used.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Yeah, you’re right. Now that you mention it the cleans don’t break up and the amp itself isn’t that versatile.
                        But for my friend who is a beginner, it works for him. It’s a much better setup than I had when I first started.
                        Yeah. Not meaning to be overly negative .

I've been playing for 20 years; so I¨m maybe very picky about ...well, what makes a tube amp great.

I'd love the ID:Core myself, if I was 13 years old again .

\m/
                        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I think your experience is common, as most people who buy the amp are only interested in high gain. It actually does that well, if not dynamically. I'd be happy with it if that is what I used.
                          I dont think the amp would work for me personally since I dont just play high gain, I was just testing an EMG loaded guitar so of course I was playing high gain haha. I am wanting to go back and test the Mustang GTX and the Katana, the potential amp purchase is more for the lessons I am teaching for my students to play on so it needs some versatility.

Comment

The Katana and Peavey's VIP series are much better alternatives at that price point than Line 6. Line 6 does do some things right (M-series effects, HX Effects, DL4 delay) but you have to spend some money. That sound doesn't 'trickle down' at all.

Comment

The only amps that L6 made that were awesome were the flextone vetta & DT series. The spider series was meant for beginners & sounded boring to say the least.

Those days tech21 had the trademark series of amps I believe which were also good. Then came the Peavey Vypry Tube series & Fender Mustangs which were way better beginner amps because they sounded great.

Nowadays there's much wider choice of beginner gear available that's affordable & sounds inspiring.
                              Last edited by Hank-; 08-27-2020, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                                The only amps that L6 made that were awesome were the flextone vetta & DT series. The spider series was meant for beginners & sounded boring to say the least.

Those days tech21 had the trademark series of amps I believe which were also good. Then came the Peavey Vypry Tube series & Fender Mustangs which were way better beginner amps because they sounded great.

Nowadays there's much wider choice of beginner gear available that's affordable & sounds inspiring.
                                I have a few Tech 21 amps- they knew what they were doing. No modeling there, though, just analog SS.

Comment

Working...
                                X