Cab/Speaker Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab/Speaker Questions

Ive been on the fence for years about this.. Im going to bother you all with it again. Sorry.. Ok.. I had a Carvin 4x12 that was going to be my ginea (sp?) pig.. But had to sell it due to financial issues.. I have a Splawn 4x12 with their smallblock? speakers and an Avatar 2/12 with celestion 75s IIRC.
    I really like my Splawn, but my dream amp would be a Friedman BE. FOR years I've read here about speakers and info in guitar rags and so many guys like Greenbacks or V30s. Those seem to be staples.. The Friedman cabs come with 2 Greens and 2 V30s.

Im very short on dough these days, (disabled and not working) So I cant afford to just start speaker swapping like I used to pickup swap. Has anyone played the Splawn cabs and can compare to V30s and or Greenbacks. I have a feeling the Splawn cabs are prolly very well designed. Ive just always been more knowledgible about guitars than cabs.. Also, Ive investigated and found/heard/been told that the Celestions in my 2x12 are very good for 80s hair metal (which Im a fan) but thats not my only thing..
    Oh, and for disclosure, I currently run the Splawn 4x12 with my Splawn QR and the Avatar cab with my PV Ultra plus. But obviously, can switch around..
    Im just wondering if Im missing anything with the Stock splawn cab.. And/or the other. Wondering what kind of a difference I might get if I run a Greenback and V30 combo in the Avatar 2x12?

Any input, thoughts and experience would be appreciated. Sadly, I cant afford to just buy and experiment. So I need to get as much background as I can first.

Thank you!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

In my humble opinion V30'S cut through the mix better than any other speaker, that's why they have that reputation. They sound very good for a lot of rock and metal applications. But they can be hated for their mid hump too.

Greenbacks are very well loved. As are the T-75'S and creambacks too.

Personal preference is really what's important, they can all sound great and they could all sound crappy depending on playing style, amp, and your own musical flavor. To each his own kind of thing. What sounds great to you might be far off from what many people claim as the best etc. Etc.

that splawn will take you many places, but it's always fun to experiment and experience new tones, it's what makes life worth living sometimes.

bloodrose I tried sending you a pm (cuz I have some greenbacks) but your message limit has been reached lol
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 08-31-2020, 07:09 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I think that 12M-70's cut even better than V30's. That's why people hate them. Or love them.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        I think that 12M-70's cut even better than V30's. That's why people hate them. Or love them.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
        How would you describe the m70 vs a t75?
        I'm sure I've probably heard older 1960 cabs without knowing they were pre-t75 cabs, but I've never compared the two.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
          In my humble opinion V30'S cut through the mix better than any other speaker, that's why they have that reputation. They sound very good for a lot of rock and metal applications. But they can be hated for their mid hump too.

Greenbacks are very well loved. As are the T-75'S and creambacks too.

Personal preference is really what's important, they can all sound great and they could all sound crappy depending on playing style, amp, and your own musical flavor. To each his own kind of thing. What sounds great to you might be far off from what many people claim as the best etc. Etc.

that splawn will take you many places, but it's always fun to experiment and experience new tones, it's what makes life worth living sometimes.

bloodrose I tried sending you a pm (cuz I have some greenbacks) but your message limit has been reached lol
          hey.. hit me up at [email protected] please.. Ill check my messages, but dont have time to purge now. Sorry and thank you!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
          X