banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beyond My Skill Level...............................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond My Skill Level...............................

A few years back I decided to try my hand at building an amp kit. I bought a Mojotone Studio One amp kit, built it and it didn't function correctly. I don't have the background or skills to troubleshoot beyond checking voltages and not electrocuting myself. I probably should have started with a Champ kit because I bit off more than I can chew on this build.

My lead dress was horrible and my wire runs were not great. My opinion about the wire Mojotone supplied was very cheap. Since my amp has been doing nothing but taking up space and I still couldn't get it working right, I had contacted Ben Fargen of Fargen Amps/Exclusive Amps to see if he could repair and/or upgrade/mod my amp. He emailed me back and asked if I would send gut shots and I did. He agreed to work on my amp and he has it now. I am excited about Ben getting my amp working and possibly upgrading it for optimum tone. Thanks Ben.

I would be interested to know what is wrong. I always want to build an amp, but then realize I have no skills in that department. I've built about 5 pedals, but that is different than an amp.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I would be interested to know what is wrong. I always want to build an amp, but then realize I have no skills in that department. I've built about 5 pedals, but that is different than an amp.
      I'm hoping Ben will give me feedback on everything that I did wrong on this build. I asked him to replace all of the wires, change any components that need it and hopefully do some upgrades/mods. I'll let you know what he informs me about my amp building shortcomings.

Comment

Sounds like a great opportunity to learn, and the amp should come back sounding pretty good I would imagine!

Comment

I know this amp is going to sound fantastic when Ben is finished with the repairs. I am excited and the waiting is difficult. Thanks guys.

Comment

ben sure knows what he is doing. i assume this wont be inexpensive though?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              ben sure knows what he is doing. i assume this wont be inexpensive though?
              Ah.........the bill. This is the part I am worried about. LOL

Comment

ha! at least you know you are getting top notch service

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  ha! at least you know you are getting top notch service
                  Yes sir, I'll probably have the absolute best sounding Mojotone Studio One amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Not really.......and this is coming from a guy who is similar in skill but has moved onto 2 amp builds.
                    The only key areas are the lead dressings and making sure the heater wires are tightly twisted (hello, battery drill!!).

The rest is simply soldering in wires to the right lugs, and making sure the component you are soldering in is the right one.......which is just the same as a pedal build - save for there's a LOT more space to work in with an amp.

Comment

Why must the heater wires be tightly twisted?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Why must the heater wires be tightly twisted?

I believe it helps to eliminate unwanted hum.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post

Not really.......and this is coming from a guy who is similar in skill but has moved onto 2 amp builds.
                            The only key areas are the lead dressings and making sure the heater wires are tightly twisted (hello, battery drill!!).

The rest is simply soldering in wires to the right lugs, and making sure the component you are soldering in is the right one.......which is just the same as a pedal build - save for there's a LOT more space to work in with an amp.
                            Still seems terrifying to me. And messing up is a lot more expensive. Maybe I will do one someday. I'd like a Princeton.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I want to build an 8 power tube quadruple rec. Speced for KT-88's. Good for either bass or drop tuned guitars.
                              Then again, I also want to look like Halfthor.
                              It's going to take me some work.

Comment

Working...
                              X