Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD - Fender Bassbreaker 007 FSR Tweed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NAD - Fender Bassbreaker 007 FSR Tweed

    WOOHOO!!!

    I love this little guy!

    I've actually had it for about a week now, but I absolutely love this thing! It just sounds BEAUTIFUL. I've become a fan of using single-channel amps and varying my volume for clean / dirty tones, so I keep this thing with the gain at 8 and the treble boost engaged, and can get everything from gorgeous cleans to ballsy OD at my fingertips.

    Also, the FSR tweed version is just so cool and old school looking! My main axe is my LP Gold Top, which has been relic'd the old fashion way – both by me and by its prior owner(s) – and together they're a match made in heaven, both tonally and aesthetically.

    I picked this dude up used for <$400, and amazingly, the power tube already been upgraded to a JJ and the speaker had been swapped out for a Celestion Greenback! I don't know what I did to deserve this kind of gear-karma, but I'll take it!


    __PRESENT
    LP, Pearly Gates A6 bridge, Alnico II Pro neck A2
    Strat, BKP True Grit bridge 'bucker A2, SSL6s middle/neck
    Strat, Perpetual Burn A6 bridge, SSL6s middle/neck
    Tele, Quarter Pound Tele bridge, Hot for Tele neck
    Tele, Transition A6 bridge, Air Norton A4 neck
    SG Special, Lead Mini A6, Rhythm Mini A4
    Jackson V, 500T bridge, 498T A2 neck
    RG, EVO2 A6 bridge, FRED A4 Neck

  • #2
    I haven't tried one of these, so I am curious. Can you compare it to a Deluxe or something more traditional? I tend to dig single channel amps, but more classic designs.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I haven't tried one of these, so I am curious. Can you compare it to a Deluxe or something more traditional? I tend to dig single channel amps, but more classic designs.
      Very, very different

      The bassbreaker makes no attempt at accomplishing the traditional Fender tone, opting for an EL84 driven, midrange focused tone thats meant to be overdriven. The Deluxe's glassy, 6v6, high-headroom design is pretty different. You'd probably have to dime the mids on the deluxe, drop the bass / treble, and really drive the thing in order to get it to sound like the bassbreaker. Also, there's no reverb or tremolo on the 007. It's a departure from Fender's traditional lineup.

      To my ears, its similar to a marshall Class 5 (the one time I played one, before they were all bought up )__PRESENT
      LP, Pearly Gates A6 bridge, Alnico II Pro neck A2
      Strat, BKP True Grit bridge 'bucker A2, SSL6s middle/neck
      Strat, Perpetual Burn A6 bridge, SSL6s middle/neck
      Tele, Quarter Pound Tele bridge, Hot for Tele neck
      Tele, Transition A6 bridge, Air Norton A4 neck
      SG Special, Lead Mini A6, Rhythm Mini A4
      Jackson V, 500T bridge, 498T A2 neck
      RG, EVO2 A6 bridge, FRED A4 Neck

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by zizyphus View Post

        Very, very different

        The bassbreaker makes no attempt at accomplishing the traditional Fender tone, opting for an EL84 driven, midrange focused tone thats meant to be overdriven. The Deluxe's glassy, 6v6, high-headroom design is pretty different. You'd probably have to dime the mids on the deluxe, drop the bass / treble, and really drive the thing in order to get it to sound like the bassbreaker. Also, there's no reverb or tremolo on the 007. It's a departure from Fender's traditional lineup.

        To my ears, its similar to a marshall Class 5 (the one time I played one, before they were all bought up )__PRESENT
        Perfect description


        | Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

        Comment


        • #5
          Gotcha. I have a Mesa Blue Angel that, other than no master volume, does the 'thick Fender' sound well. Thanks for the description.
          Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

          Comment


          • #6
            To me, that's how my Picovalve sounds.

            Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              fyi deluxe reverbs dont have a mid control

              Comment


              • #8
                I really didn't get what that amp was going for? More than likely due to its name more than anything else. Because it's neither a Bassman, nor is it a Bluesbreaker inspired amp. Kind of like a modded Princeton or Deluxe with a Marshall 18watt power section.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The name is a reference to Marshalls of the '60s, which used Fender amp circuits as their design framework.

                  The Bassbreaker series is supposed to have British flavor, and to follow the early Marshall approach of starting out with a Fender design, and modding it for more grit and power...and to add some more modern back panel features.

                  The 18/30 and the 45 are based around classic Fender circuits. You can actually get them sounding very much like the classic Fender amps on which they are based...or you can get them sounding like Marshalls. And they are good pedal platforms, having gobs of clean headroom if set up for it.

                  The 007 and 15 are more "Voxey" in tone. The 15 was the only one of the original line with reverb, and easily the best sounding amp in the entire line IMO.

                  The 30R (introduced later) is basically a hopped up 15.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    The name is a reference to Marshalls of the '60s, which used Fender amp circuits as their design framework.

                    The Bassbreaker series is supposed to have British flavor, and to follow the early Marshall approach of starting out with a Fender design, and modding it for more grit and power...and to add some more modern back panel features.

                    The 18/30 and the 45 are based around classic Fender circuits. You can actually get them sounding very much like the classic Fender amps on which they are based...or you can get them sounding like Marshalls. And they are good pedal platforms, having gobs of clean headroom if set up for it.

                    The 007 and 15 are more "Voxey" in tone. The 15 was the only one of the original line with reverb, and easily the best sounding amp in the entire line IMO.

                    The 30R (introduced later) is basically a hopped up 15.
                    This description makes sense. I don't have anyone around here that carries any of the Bassbreakers, and the ad copy doesn't go into this much detail.
                    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have the 15 combo and love it. Great range of tones. Only got to gig it once before Armageddon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                        I have the 15 combo and love it. Great range of tones. Only got to gig it once before Armageddon.
                        Yup. It's the only one in the original lineup that I felt was good enough too own. Got the matching extension cab too, which makes it even better.

                        I really want to try the 30R, but my favorite local shop doesn't stock it. They said they'd order one for me at $800 plus tax, though.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Those Bassbreakers are cool amps. When I was in Phoenix last year, I stopped by Bizarre Guitars and played a Custom Shop LP Jr DC through a 15 combo. Holy smokes did it sound great! If I was in the market for a small tube amp like that, the Bassbreaker would be at the front of the line. Simple, no frills, in your face.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ^ "No frills" – sort of.

                            It actually has lots of frills for an amp of its type. But most of the frills are very useful and welcome, and all of them are unobtrusive, so it doesn't seem loaded up with a bunch of stuff. Most other amps of its power and size are things like the Blues Junior and Pro Junior, which are FAR less loaded up with controls and options. I already have a perfect sounding amp of the same size and power...but it lacks many "modern" features that are quite useful in the gigging world. I would not have got the BB-15 if it were not for these "frills."

                            It has:

                            Three band e.q. (the most important "frill" – my Ampeg J12-T is one band)

                            Bright switch (seems more like a low cut – EXTREMELY useful switch, though I wish it was controllable by foot switch).

                            Three gain ranges (useless to me on a low headroom amp IMO...but I am sure others who play dirtier use it)

                            Effects loop.

                            XLR line out with ground lift and cabinet emulation.

                            Multiple speaker jacks even on combo model (not "filling the room" – put it through a 2x12 or 4x12). I added an external speaker output to my Ampeg.

                            Available perfectly matching extension cab. Nice to have a matching cab, instead of running my Ampeg or Mesa through non matching ones, like I usually do.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-08-2020, 01:02 PM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Three band e.q., bright switch, effects loop, external speaker jack, line out with cabinet emulation and multiple gain ranges is pretty no frills to me compared to other amps on the market. My old Marshall JCM 900 MkIII was laid out very similar (with the exception that the line out was 1/4" unbalanced w/ speaker emulation and no bright switch) but it was single channel, gain ranges based on how the preamp and gain knobs where dialed in, etc. Compared to other 15-watt tube amps though, the Bassbreaker does have some nice additional features.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X