Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet wiring

Complete noob on this subject.

If I pull a 16ohm speaker out of a cabinet, can I just swap it out for an 8 ohm speaker? Or is it more complicated than that? Wiring, etc.

Example: Orange PPC112

Thank you

If it's a single 12 cab, then the only difference is the resistance that the amp will see will now be 8ohms. As long as the amp can handle the change, no problem. If it's a multiple speaker cab, the amount that the resistance changes will be different. Usually some oddball reading. Once again, as long as the amp can handle it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
      Complete noob on this subject.

If I pull a 16ohm speaker out of a cabinet, can I just swap it out for an 8 ohm speaker? Or is it more complicated than that? Wiring, etc.

Example: Orange PPC112

Thank you
      In a 1x12 cab, it's just that sample. In a cabinet with more speakers you'd need to replace more than one to avoid having a weird impedance. In a 2x12 for example, one 8-ohm and one 16-ohm speaker would yield a total impedance of 5.3 ohms.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Not to derail, but could you run that 1- 8ohm 1-16ohm cab safely through the 4ohm tap? Or would you be better off doing the 8ohm tap? My guess is the 4ohm.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          If it's a single 12 cab, then the only difference is the resistance that the amp will see will now be 8ohms. As long as the amp can handle the change, no problem. If it's a multiple speaker cab, the amount that the resistance changes will be different. Usually some oddball reading. Once again, as long as the amp can handle it.

Single 1x12 cabinet

Taking out 16 ohm V30, putting in 8 ohm Greenback. Sounds like it’ll be fine.

Different scenario:

2x12 with crappy (blown) 16 ohm speakers. Can I just swap them out for two 8 ohm speakers?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes, you can get a 4 ohm cab in parallel or a 16 ohm cab in series.

Comment

series =

------ amp ----- speaker ---- series --- speaker

Parallel =

.............----- speaker
              Amp <
              .............----- speaker
              Last edited by ehdwuld; 09-04-2020, 10:39 PM.
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Gracias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes, you can get a 4 ohm cab in parallel or a 16 ohm cab in series.

Or 8 ohms series

Comment

This site is useful and there's a calculator http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Comment

I'm not sure but can you mix speakers in parallel and series to get a desired load? Because if you take 16+16 series=32 and 8+8 parallel=4. 32x4=128/36=3.5 ohms.

Comment

I have a 4x12 with 16ohm speakers. Two sets of two speakers wired in series for 32 ohms per set, then those two sets wired in parallel for a total load of 16ohms.

Comment

I have a 4x12 with 16ohm speakers. Two sets of two speakers wired in series for 32 ohms per set, then those two sets wired in parallel for a total load of 16ohms.

Yep that's how those giant cabs are wired
                          EHD

Comment

When I first bought it, whoever wired it up used double sided 14ga lamp cord to connect everything. I replaced it with, if I recall correctly, single runs of 12ga oxygen free cable that I got for a song. Sounded much better after.

Comment

Hmmmm
                              I use 22 gauge speaker wire I got back in the 70s for a house stereo
                              Kinda just leftover wire

I use it or 24 gauge ethernet cable wire for guitars
                              the 22 gauge sounds louder than the 24 gauge

12 gauge is just over kill

Wonder what battery jumper cables would sound like

Hotrodded? Perhaps?
                              EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X