No announcement yet.

Best Plexi toanz for under $500 used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For home use, I would say a used Eleven Rack (or an Atomic Ampli-fire Box) and a Headrush 108 should get you close to $500 and with a very good Plexi tone.
    Might be hard to have a Plexi tone at "home playing" with a tube amp. The reason I proposed a modeler as I can get a very good one with my Eleven Rack at about TV level playing (using an EV ZLX12P).
    Maybe check out what you can get out of a Katana 50w at 0.5w on the Brown channel.

Comment

I have an old Vox Valvetronix modeler and it’s “UK 70s” setting does the plexi thing extremely well, and has a master volume, since it’s a modeler.

I’ll find or make a clip and attach it

Edit: here we go: https://youtu.be/7JrAOAJZDTM

This was before video cameras or electric lights were invented, so please forgive the video. I start with the clean tones then get in to the crunch tones.

This is the AD15VT with 15W through a little 8” speaker at apartment volume.
      Last edited by ImmortalSix; 09-10-2020, 08:02 PM.
      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
        Any recommendations for a low watt amp (30w or lower) that can get ballpark Plexi tones? This is for playing at home.

Was considering a Class 5 but wanted to see if theres anything out there that uses EL34s.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        I paid $415.00 USD for my Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern.
        It says 50watt every where, but all the technicians that i have spoken too, either in person or over the inter net says this KT66 driven amp (just like the KT66 driven JTM45) is much, much closer to 30-35 watts than to the 'proclaimed / advertised' 50 watts.

I had my Vintage Modren's master volume on max yesterday, and it is deff NOT as (((loud))) as my 50 Watt Orange Thunderverb, through the same cab.
        I do not think you will get a more realistic plexi tone, south of $500.00 USD, unless you can find a used (good luck) *Albion / Wharfedale TCT50, 40, 35, or 30 model.

* some Marshall technicians left the Co. and started their own amp business.
        Think of it as a ''super Marshall'' . . . all the good stuff that the engineers wanted to add to a Marshall, but the top wigs/suits at the Co. said ''NO'' for.
        Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz II; 09-11-2020, 02:12 AM.
        Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

I paid $415.00 USD for my Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern.
          It says 50watt every where, but all the technicians that i have spoken too, either in person or over the inter net says this KT66 driven amp (just like the KT66 driven JTM45) is much, much closer to 30-35 watts than to the 'proclaimed / advertised' 50 watts.

I had my Vintage Modren's master volume on max yesterday, and it is deff NOT as (((loud))) as my 50 Watt Orange Thunderverb, through the same cab.
          I do not think you will get a more realistic plexi tone, south of $500.00 USD, unless you can find a used (good luck) *Albion / Wharfedale TCT50, 40, 35, or 30 model.

* some Marshall technicians left the Co. and started their own amp business.
          Think of it as a ''super Marshall'' . . . all the good stuff that the engineers wanted to add to a Marshall, but the top wigs/suits at the Co. said ''NO'' for.
          Damn. Wish I had seen this earlier. After test driving the DLS, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Class 5 head for $300 shipped. Then ordered new tubes (NOS Mullard 12AT7, Genalex gold pin 12AX7, and Genalex EL84) based on internet research, and also after watching this video:

I will be running it through an Orange PPC112 with a Greenback. Also have a H&K TM110 with a Creamback that I can try (travel rig).
          Last edited by BenPerkins; 09-11-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

This one will do really nice (bit grittier) plexi-type tones with the right Cab/guitars.

Laboga The Beast Classic is the third evolution from the Beast series, with the same features and size as The Beast 30+ but with the different tone shape, especially changed to get nice classic vintage sound. It has 30 Watt power capacity, which can be reduced to 15W with front panel switch....

I bought mine new a few years go from this ^^ store (....shipped from Finland for about &450...'cause I bought two heads together)
            Reached me in about a week....no problems at all (I'm not in the US though)

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post

Damn. Wish I had seen this earlier. After test driving the DLS, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Class 5 head for $300 shipped. Then ordered new tubes (NOS Mullard 12AT7, Genalex gold pin 12AX7, and Genalex EL84) based on internet research, and also after watching this video:

I will be running it through an Orange PPC112 with a Greenback. Also have a H&K TM110 with a Creamback that I can try (travel rig).
              Sounds really good.
              What pick ups do you have in that LP ?
              Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                This one will do really nice (bit grittier) plexi-type tones with the right Cab/guitars.

https://reverb.com/item/34076015-lab...assic-30w-head

I bought mine new a few years go from this ^^ store (....shipped from Finland for about &450...'cause I bought two heads together)

Interesting. That's a cool tone but not what I think of when I think of a plexi Marshall.

This is what I think of:

Or this:

Last edited by Lewguitar; 09-15-2020, 05:17 AM.
                Practice cures most tone issues - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

Laboga The Beast Classic is the third evolution from the Beast series, with the same features and size as The Beast 30+ but with the different tone shape, especially changed to get nice classic vintage sound. It has 30 Watt power capacity, which can be reduced to 15W with front panel switch....

This has way more mids and gain than a classic Plexi tone.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I agree...but it can get kinda close (AC/DC tones all day long) if dialed in that way which I did'nt do in the demo. But yeah...like I said it's grittier/the mids are more prominent.

But I was thinking of the OP's price cap mostly...or I'd have suggested this baby for $1500+ more

As fine a plexi tone as you will ever hear...

Just not too easy on the pocket
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

Sounds really good.
                      What pick ups do you have in that LP ?
                      Sorry, that was someone elses video. Ive got a Gibson Marauder (76?).

Comment

So yeah... gonna need an attenuator. Preferably something that doesn’t color the tone. I am thinking $200 or less. Any suggestions? Maybe a Weber Mini Mass?

Long story short, I’ am in the doghouse for waking up my 4 year old.
                        Last edited by BenPerkins; 09-16-2020, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I have a Weber MASS. Works well, but it's not perfect. It has switches and things to make up for the tone loss, which help a great deal, but don't exactly counter all the negative effects of an attenuator. Using the line out and reamping with a clean low power monitor system is almost better than running into guitar speakers fully attenuated. But either way it's still very satisfying to play, much moreso than low-powered amp simulators that don't respond correctly to touch.

Comment

You could look for a Traynor YBA-2.

Comment

What about a Bugera Power Soak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X