65 Twin Reverb Reissue vs. Hot Rod Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Twin Reverb Reissue vs. Hot Rod Deluxe

I currently have a Hot Rod deluxe that I use for cleans, and I put a good OD in front and can get lots of tones...

Due to a friend with a Fender employee in his family, I can get Fender stuff half off...

So, should I upgrade to a 65 Reissue Twin Reverb for about $500, most of which I can attain by selling the HRD? Will it easily surpass my HRD in terms of sound and quality?

Thanks! -Will
    Fender USA Strat
    Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. Reverb
    Retroman Sybil Fuzz
    Zendrive

Re: 65 Twin Reverb Reissue vs. Hot Rod Deluxe

No brainer...TR all the way. The HRDx is a 45 lb paperweight if you ask me.

Comment

A few things to consider... I see you run your HRD with a Avatar 2x12. I'm pretty sure the TRRI runs a 4 ohm load? ( I would look into this) If I'm correct? You won't be able to run your Cab. with the TRRI. I have a bad back, so 44lbs. is more appealing than 64 lbs. The up side of the TRRI is it's 85 watts. But IMO the HRD's 40 watts is plenty loud for most gigs.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

the twin also has much, much different speakers that voice gain totally differently

you may find your favorite OD sounding like crap infront of the twin, or better, who knows
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I'll rather get a Twin amp 57 ri
          One of the most cool Fender amps right now.
          Too cool a Tweed style amp!

Comment

I rarely run the HRD into the Avatar, and I dont think I EVER would with a Twin, considering the volume and headroom etc...

I am confident that my pedals will sound good in front of it...

What would be the advantages/disadvantages/differences in, say:

Twin Reverb
            Super Reverb
            Vibroverb
            Fender USA Strat
            Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. Reverb
            Retroman Sybil Fuzz
            Zendrive

Comment

All the above are Fender PCB construction, right? One of the worst moves Fender ever made. I had three junked carcasses of these things that I tossed last year. I can tell you that none of the Fender guys in Scottsdale use these things... Even at half-price, a waste of money when there are SF Twins with reliable, repairable tagboard construction and good iron and components (Switchcraft, Schumacher, CTS, Allen-Bradley, etc) all over the place for under 1K.

Comment

I would go with a Silverface Super or Twin. Countless artists have recorded great tones with these amps and they hold up well. Either one would serve you well...I prefer the Super because it will break up earlier that the Twin although both are loud and clean. Trade the HRD for a Silverface and use the money for a good amp tech to "blackface" the amp for you and maybe put in new speakers. Just my $.02
                Originally posted by tone4days
                we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Fender Twin - it has a great pure tone, better harmonics esp with the JBLs or whatever other speakers, it sounds better in a 2x12 format

HOWEVER -

I think the HRD breaks up better at lower levels! Though the distortion circuit is a joke, these amps are nice when cranked. However, they don't play well against power drummers. So it does depend on the gig.
                  1973 Les Paul Standard
                  1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Working...
                  X