Speaker Ohms and amp pairing ideas and some technical questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Ohms and amp pairing ideas and some technical questions

Hi, I have a crate vintage club20 tube amp that has a 10" 8ohm speaker. I have a few 1x12 speaker cabs however they all have 16-ohm speakers in them. I want to hook the creat up to a 12" . From my basic knowledge on pairing speakers and amps, it would seem linking 2 x 16ohm 12" speakers together in parallel would the simplest way?

Does anyone know if mods cam be done on amps to put a switch for the ohms (that some heads already have built-in)?

Also, I have a Budda 2x10 speaker cab that I bought years ago - it is an anniversary edition and has purple tolex. The speakers don't appear to have any output or ohm labels - the stickers just say 'special Budda designed speakers' ... from memory (and I really can't trust that ...it was so long ago and who know what I was thinking then), they are 4ohm and can handle 150 watts??
    Is there any way to test the ohm and output of speakers??
    Last edited by Techy Beccy; 09-06-2020, 09:09 PM.

To read the ohms you need to get a voltage/ohm meter. You can get one cheap on Amazon. As far as your application goes 2x16 ohm speakers will give you an 8-ohm load.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      To read the ohms you need to get a voltage/ohm meter. You can get one cheap on Amazon. As far as your application goes 2x16 ohm speakers will give you an 8-ohm load.

Or 2 16' in parallel then in series with an 8 will give you 16ohms.
      But, correct me if I'm wrong, won't the lower resistance speaker get more power from the amp? As in each 16 ohm speaker would split half the power while the single 8ohm speaker would take the other half by itself.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I remember having old transistor stereo receivers without an output transformer that gave power ratings that were higher for 4 ohms than 8 ohms.

It doesn't work like that with tube amps though.

The Tube amps that have an impedance matching switch have different taps on the output transformer. Maybe a 4 ohm tap, 8 ohm tap and 16 ohm tap.

If your tube amp's output transformer doesn't have those taps then "No", you can't add a switch to create those taps.

If your tube amp wants to see 8 ohms you might get your best sound by using two of your 16 ohm speakers in parallel which will give you an 8 ohm load, and NOT using the 8 ohm 10" speaker at all.

Can you unplug it and plug your two 16 ohm speakers in instead?
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Or 2 16' in parallel then in series with an 8 will give you 16ohms.
          But, correct me if I'm wrong, won't the lower resistance speaker get more power from the amp? As in each 16 ohm speaker would split half the power while the single 8ohm speaker would take the other half by itself.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
          That’s correct.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
          X