Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender AB763 vs. AB763 vs. AB763

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

    Seeing as this amp is hand build . . . does any one think you can convert this circuit to a valve/tube rectified circuit, ala 5E3-style ?
    I wouldn't attempt that, and I've built amps from scratch.

    For one thing, you might not have the voltage available from the power transformer to light up another tube without decreasing the voltage to your other tubes.

    My brother Bruce owns Mission Amps in Denver and that's what he does for a living.

    That amp looks nice but can you try it out before purchasing it?

    It looks home made.

    A presence control is not something you ever see on blackface Fenders, BTW.

    Not that it's a bad idea.

    When I removed the master volume control from a 70's silverface Twin Reverb for a friend, I replaced it with a presence control.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 09-10-2020, 05:34 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

    Comment


    • #32
      looks like a cool amp and lew is right about the presence control though id assume professional builder rather than homemade i wouldnt bother trying to add a tube rectifier. youd probably need a different power transformer or to add a small 5v power tranny among other things. and that aint ever gonna be a 5e3, if thats what you want, this isnt the amp for you. the 5e3 is gonna be super squishy compared to this thing

      Comment


      • #33
        A 5E3 and a BF Twin are about as far apart as you can get. Completely different tone stack, preamp circuit, phase inverter, lower B+, output stage, etc etc...There is no suitable 5v winding in a Twin Reverb PT so a tube rectifier would require a transformer that would supply that voltage and a nominal 2 amps. But you can replace the stock SS rectifier with modules that will drop some B+, similar to what a tube rectifier would do.
        Last edited by SoPhx; 09-10-2020, 10:44 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          looks like a cool amp and lew is right about the presence control though id assume professional builder rather than homemade i wouldnt bother trying to add a tube rectifier. youd probably need a different power transformer or to add a small 5v power tranny among other things. and that aint ever gonna be a 5e3, if thats what you want, this isnt the amp for you. the 5e3 is gonna be super squishy compared to this thing
          Only reason I made the "home made" comment was because the lettering on the faceplate looks like it's handwritten. Maybe it's not.

          The cabinet looks gorgeous!
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

          Comment


          • #35
            it does, reminds me of a homestead i played through. i think the lettering is just a font that supposed to look like hand writing.

            if its a hand wired amp, which i assume it to be, if you can get it for a good price id probably do it. it looks beautiful

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

              I wouldn't attempt that, and I've built amps from scratch.

              For one thing, you might not have the voltage available from the power transformer to light up another tube without decreasing the voltage to your other tubes.

              My brother Bruce owns Mission Amps in Denver and that's what he does for a living.

              That amp looks nice but can you try it out before purchasing it?

              It looks home made.

              A presence control is not something you ever see on blackface Fenders, BTW.

              Not that it's a bad idea.

              When I removed the master volume control from a 70's silverface Twin Reverb for a friend, I replaced it with a presence control.
              Nope. . . unfortunately not.

              The seller stays 7+ hour's car ride away.

              I too thought that the Presence knob was a strange idea.
              Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                A 5E3 and a BF Twin are about as far apart as you can get. Completely different tone stack, preamp circuit, phase inverter, lower B+, output stage, etc etc...There is no suitable 5v winding in a Twin Reverb PT so a tube rectifier would require a transformer that would supply that voltage and a nominal 2 amps. But you can replace the stock SS rectifier with modules that will drop some B+, similar to what a tube rectifier would do.
                Great news . . . thank you

                Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

                  Only reason I made the "home made" comment was because the lettering on the faceplate looks like it's handwritten. Maybe it's not.

                  The cabinet looks gorgeous!
                  'home made' by a local booteek amp builder, yes.
                  He does copies of other amps, and also design his own circuits.

                  https://www.facebook.com/Le-Roux-Amp...4825106904013/
                  Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

                    'home made' by a local booteek amp builder, yes.
                    He does copies of other amps, and also design his own circuits.

                    https://www.facebook.com/Le-Roux-Amp...4825106904013/
                    Those are some beautiful looking amps right there.
                    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

                      The amp in question ;

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	amp ask 6L6 081267_o.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	6015806
                      Whatever it sounds like, that's an amazing looking amp.
                      Killerguitarrigs.com

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        That is a gorgeous looking amp


                        | Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          So Fuzzy Jack....did you buy it?
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                            So Fuzzy Jack....did you buy it?
                            Not just yet.
                            I am hearing a lot of ''master volume mods does not sound good'' comments.
                            Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              if its the old silverface mv then its not great, not terrible but not great compared to more modern designs. if it is the old style and you dont like it, its pretty easy to bypass it, and if its a more modern mv then it might sound great. part of the issue is there just isnt a lot of gain in the non-reverb ab763 circuit, two stages with a good amount of loss and scoop due to the eq, so you wont get a ton of dirt without pedals or slamming the pi tube.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                                if its the old silverface mv then its not great, not terrible but not great compared to more modern designs. if it is the old style and you dont like it, its pretty easy to bypass it, and if its a more modern mv then it might sound great. part of the issue is there just isnt a lot of gain in the non-reverb ab763 circuit, two stages with a good amount of loss and scoop due to the eq, so you wont get a ton of dirt without pedals or slamming the pi tube.
                                Yep. The good news is that a clean amp can make for a great platform for reverb, delay and overdrive pedals.

                                I play through a Vox AC30 or a Blackstar Artisan 30 these days and set them with the master bypassed and for a clean tone.

                                Then I have a Klon and an Eric Johnson inspired Dover Drive.

                                I get great clean tones with the pedals off and killer overdriven tones with either pedal on. Or with BOTH on.
                                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X