No announcement yet.

Fender AB763 vs. AB763 vs. AB763

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nah bruce is good peeps. you and i like similar things but that doesnt mean we are more right than someone else who likes different things. a 72 twin is gonna sound different than a 64, you and i might prefer the 64 but bruce might prefer the 72. id take the 72 twin over plenty of other amps though. ive had some nightmare backline amps over the years so if theres a sf amp thats been decently maintained i know ill be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Seems like we see eye to eye on this Jeremy. I think Suburb just likes to bait and argue.
      No Lew, wrong again. I have a 72 silverface I have been playing since 82 that sounds glorious. And when I see someone post opinion over fact it irritates me. You preaching Internet myths about how Fender amps after 68 are garbage is ridiculous. You can set up any vintage amp next to my crappy silverface and I will blow your wheels off every time and twice on Sundays

Last edited by Securb; 09-08-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

No Lew, wrong again. I have a 72 silverface I have been playing since 82 that sounds glorious. And when I see someone post opinion over fact it irritates me. You preaching Internet myths about how Fender amps after 68 are garbage is ridiculous. You can set up any vintage amp next to my crappy silverface and I will blow your wheels off every time and twice on Sundays

Yeah I was right. You ARE just looking for an argument.

"Fender amps after 68 are garbage..." Never said that.

"Slverface sounds bad..." Never said that.

Silverface sounds "offensive..." Never said that.

"Crappy silverface..." Nope. Never said that either.

You're just making stuff up and attempting to put words in my mouth that are actually YOUR WORDS, not mine.

And THAT is a fact easily verified by anyone who wants to go back and read what I actually said.

But I'll save them the trouble. Here's what I actually said:

"I would hope the master volume in the amp the OP is considering is a new design and not the silverface era design.

That was one of the first master volume designs and not a very good one.

Didn't give satisfying overdrive and turning it to 10 did not sound the same as just removing it from the circuit altogether. Kind of useless."

Every word I wrote was about the design of the master volume circuit in those early 70's master volume amps.

Never said the amp itself was "garbage" or sounded "bad", "offensive" or "crappy".

Those are all your words. Not mine.

However, here's what Jeff Bober, "Amp Man", writing in Premier Guitar had to say about the master volume in silverface Fenders:

"Now, having a master volume control on a Fender Twin Reverb, or most any other Fender amp of this era, seems like a useless addition. Master volumes are generally associated with and necessary in amps that use considerable front-end gain to overdrive the preamp section. The signal level can then be reduced prior to the output stage to control overall amp volume. There is not a huge amount of gain in the preamp stages of a Twin Reverb, at least not enough to achieve significant overdrive....In reality, the result was far from stellar, and I’m not sure I know anyone who actually uses this feature."

Here's link to the article: https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...-dud-or-dynamo

So there ya go. Enjoy your amp.

And lighten up on your attacks on me and please stop putting words in my mouth that I never said.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

enough guys. its stops here. next post going back and forth gets dinged.

Comment

Update :

This is what i got from the original builder, once i asked him if he can remember the 2011 build :

''Yes, it would be more like the AB763 - a Twin Reverb normal channel preamp with half output, plus master volume.''

This build does NOT have a Reverb/Trem channel.
            Can I assume it is diode rectified, and not valve/tube rectified ?
            Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz II; 09-09-2020, 02:44 AM. Reason: - bloody typos.
            Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
              Update :

This is what i got from the original builder, once i asked him if he can remember the 2011 build :

''Yes, it would be more like the AB763 - a Twin Reverb normal channel preamp with half output, plus master volume.''

This build does NOT have a Reverb/Trem channel.
              Can I assume it is diode rectified, and not valve/tube rectified ?
              Also, this build has a claimed wattage of 40, and runs into a single 12inch Jensen.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

Also, this build has a claimed wattage of 40, and runs into a single 12inch Jensen.

The Bandmaster is rated at 40 watts and the blackface version did not have Reverb. It did have vibrato, but on one channel only.

Silicon rectifier. Not a tube. The Twin Reverb did not have a tube rectifier either.

The Bandmaster was a head only and came with a two 12" speaker cabinet.

To be honest, I didn't like the sound as much as the 40 watt Pro Reverb, which had two 12's and did have a tube rectifier.

IMO, the blackface Fenders with reverb sound better whether you use the reverb or not.

All my opinion and personal preference, of course.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 09-09-2020, 06:27 AM.

Comment

The best tone I've ever had was when borrowing a 1970 Pro Reverb. Wow, if I knew how to maintain one, I'd seek another one out.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    The best tone I've ever had was when borrowing a 1970 Pro Reverb. Wow, if I knew how to maintain one, I'd seek another one out.
                    Yep. The Pro Reverb is my favorite 40 watt blackface Fender.

Comment

my buddy has two pro reverbs a '64 and '66 i believe. such great amps! i can borrow them whenever i want but barely ever need to since i cant even crank my dr the way i want most of the time. the pro has a little more give than a super reverb in my experience.

as far as the twin reverb normal channel amp... its probably ss rectified which isnt a bad thing really. it will probably be a fairly clean, fairly loud amp with a straight forward slightly mid scooped tone. the mv may help you get some dirt at lower volumes but with only two bf style tube stages, even with the preamp dimed, there isnt a ton of dirt. if its a post pi mv then you can get some pi breakup too. i dont love the newer jensens, especially compared to the old ones but speakers are easy enough to swap. its probably a very good pedal platform amp

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        my buddy has two pro reverbs a '64 and '66 i believe. such great amps! i can borrow them whenever i want but barely ever need to since i cant even crank my dr the way i want most of the time. the pro has a little more give than a super reverb in my experience.

as far as the twin reverb normal channel amp... its probably ss rectified which isnt a bad thing really. it will probably be a fairly clean, fairly loud amp with a straight forward slightly mid scooped tone. the mv may help you get some dirt at lower volumes but with only two bf style tube stages, even with the preamp dimed, there isnt a ton of dirt. if its a post pi mv then you can get some pi breakup too. i dont love the newer jensens, especially compared to the old ones but speakers are easy enough to swap. its probably a very good pedal platform amp
                        I switched to Deluxe Reverbs quite a few years ago.

Still love the Pro Reverb but like you, I can't turn it up loud enough to get the sound out of it I used to get "back in the day".

"Back in the day" meaning back when I was making myself deaf.

Comment

Yes, it is SS rectified which is why these amps have that tight low-end, a tighter tone all together. If you are looking for that classic "tube" rectifier sound that is where the master volume comes in. If you crank the channel the pre-amp tubes will give a bit of sag and you will get the classic bloom you would get from a tube rectifier then adjust with the master volume for the room. The master volumes on these amps are amazing if you know how to dial them in especially if you hit the front end with a little boost or overdrive.

i dont love the newer jensens, especially compared to the old ones but speakers are easy enough to swap. its probably a very good pedal platform amp
                          My older Jensens were beaten to crap after decades of gigging. Right before putting my amp in mothballs, I put Celestion Type A speakers in the amp. Here is a review.

​​​​​​http://www.tmrzoo.com/2018/73030/gui...is-newer-again
                          Last edited by Securb; 09-09-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

. . . thanks Jeremy

Comment

The amp in question ;

Click image for larger version

Name:	amp ask 6L6 081267_o.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	6015806

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                                Yes, it is SS rectified which is why these amps have that tight low-end, a tighter tone all together. If you are looking for that classic "tube" rectifier sound that is where the master volume comes in. If you crank the channel the pre-amp tubes will give a bit of sag and you will get the classic bloom you would get from a tube rectifier then adjust with the master volume for the room. The master volumes on these amps are amazing if you know how to dial them in especially if you hit the front end with a little boost or overdrive.

My older Jensens were beaten to crap after decades of gigging. Right before putting my amp in mothballs, I put Celestion Type A speakers in the amp. Here is a review.

​​​​​​http://www.tmrzoo.com/2018/73030/gui...is-newer-again
                                Seeing as this amp is hand build . . . does any one think you can convert this circuit to a valve/tube rectified circuit, ala 5E3-style ?

Comment

Working...
                                X