banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tight, good metal tone with Boss Katana 50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you get into the tone studio and really adjust a couple things, those katanas can scream.

I really like to use the tscreamer guvnr and turbo drive as the boost, with the gain around 50.
    The metal zone gets really death metal, but it's more difficult to eq.

Then add a "comp" to the FX (not the mod)

This will give you tons of gain, but also keep it from being really hissy and squeally.

Eq to taste.

That's how I set them up. (I set up 2 just yesterday for kids in class) a katana 50 mkii and a regular katana 50.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 09-18-2020, 05:57 AM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
      If you get into the tone studio and really adjust a couple things, those katanas can scream.

I really like to use the tscreamer guvnr and turbo drive as the boost, with the gain around 50.
      The metal zone gets really death metal, but it's more difficult to eq.

Then add a "comp" to the FX (not the mod)

This will give you tons of gain, but also keep it from being really hissy and squeally.

Eq to taste.

That's how I set them up. (I set up 2 just yesterday for kids in class) a katana 50 mkii and a regular katana 50.
      Interesting. Thank you! I'm using the Tscreamer, but I haven't really checked out the guvnr and turbo that much. Will have to see. As for adding compression as FX, that does mean I can't add GEQ on top of parametric EQ, but that might be fine if the tonal result is worth it. I am down for getting rid of hiss and squeal!

Edit: What do you mean by adding comp as FX, not mod? Do you mean a separate compression pedal? The Comp effect?
      Last edited by weepingminotaur; 09-18-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Interesting. Thank you! I'm using the Tscreamer, but I haven't really checked out the guvnr and turbo that much. Will have to see. As for adding compression as FX, that does mean I can't add GEQ on top of parametric EQ, but that might be fine if the tonal result is worth it. I am down for getting rid of hiss and squeal!

Edit: What do you mean by adding comp as FX, not mod? Do you mean a separate compression pedal? The Comp effect?
        You can set it up however you want, I haven't messed with the GEQ much at all.

I mean add the comp to the FX column in tone studio, because if you add it to the modulation column, then you can't use it simultaneously with your boost. It's an either or knob (fixed with concentric knobs in the mkii) hope that makes sense, sometimes I don't explain things very well.
        Last edited by 80's_Metal; 09-19-2020, 04:57 AM.
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Working...
        X