banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tight, good metal tone with Boss Katana 50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight, good metal tone with Boss Katana 50?

Hey folks. Running an EC-1000 with Custom 5/Jazz, tuned to E flat, into a Boss Katana 50, and I'm having trouble getting a metal tone I like. I want a thick tone for the chugga-chugga, but tight and defined (and I am not a mid-scooper, by the way -- I like lots of mids). Music of choice: Testament, Slayer, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Pantera, Load-era Metallica. I've been playing around in Boss Tone Studio for a few weeks now, and I feel like I get close to what I want but not all the way there. Currently my base setup is the Tubescreamer boost (drive 0, tone 5, effect level around 75), two EQs (parametric and graphic), and a bit of reverb. I've tried having the GEQ come after the amp, and before it, but the sound is either too tinny or too flubby, depending on my GEQ settings. I've tried bass cuts on the parametric, too. Any advice, setting suggestions, etc. would be welcome.

And yes, I know it's weird for a guy who likes lots of mids to have a Custom 5 in the bridge, but hey, I'm trying to expand my horizons!

Comment

I suggest using the drive knob on the Tube Screamer. Lessen the gain from the amp, and use some gain from the pedal.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Try turning the tone down to 10-11:00. And the drive up to about the same. Keep the level the same.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I suggest using the drive knob on the Tube Screamer. Lessen the gain from the amp, and use some gain from the pedal.
          Will try that, thanks. For the record I should state that the Tubescreamer is a model effect built into the Katana, so it's not an actual physical pedal.

Comment

Have you checked out Juca Nery's patches? He has some killer stuff for the Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Will try that, thanks. For the record I should state that the Tubescreamer is a model effect built into the Katana, so it's not an actual physical pedal.
              It should work the same. Boss (and many other companies) have essentially cloned the TS sound.

Comment

Ceramic mag in that pickup and your issue is resolved. IMO
                Or you could just sell the c5 and get a tb5 custom trembucker.
                Last edited by dave74; 09-10-2020, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                  Have you checked out Juca Nery's patches? He has some killer stuff for the Katana.
                  No, I haven't. I'll definitely check those patches out!

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                    Ceramic mag in that pickup and your issue is resolved. IMO
                    Or you could just sell the c5 and get a tb5 custom trembucker.
                    Heh, it's definitely crossed my mind. But I want to explore every other option before I consider swapping out the Custom 5. Not sure what I'd put in, though. Custom, maybe, as you suggested, or Pegasus.

Comment

Well, if you consider swapping pickups, I'd absolutely suggest the Black Winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Well, if you consider swapping pickups, I'd absolutely suggest the Black Winter.
                        Ha! In another context I would put a Winter in there faster than you could say it. But I already have Black Winters in another guitar, and I'm weird about replicating pickups. I want each guitar to have its own pickup set, as bizarre as it sounds. That's why the Nazgul is also out (I have it in a third guitar). Having said that, if I really can't find another option, I may just crack and go with a Winter bridge for the EC-1000. It's such an amazing pickup.

Comment

Maybe your stretching the limit of a small open cab with only 1x12" speaker? I think "tight and define" is easier done with a closed cab.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                            Maybe your stretching the limit of a small open cab with only 1x12" speaker? I think "tight and define" is easier done with a closed cab.
                            Oh yeah, it's all relative, for sure. I'd like more definition than I have now, but I recognize that there are limits to what I can expect with the Katana 50.

In any case, I did a bunch of tweaking yesterday and got closer to a sound I like, though it was on the Les Paul with Black Winters. Upped the drive on the TS clone a bit per Mincer's suggestion, cut the bass at 63hz on the parametric EQ, and dropped the 500hz frequency a tad on the GEQ to remove a bit of flubbiness. Today I'll A/B test the sound with the EC-1000 and see how it holds up, and to what extent the issue is the pickup rather than the amp.

Comment

My Katana 50w is the best $225 I spent on music equipment. It replaced my Micro Cube, playing mostly at 0.5w, but I can also take it in a hurry to jam with friends: Katana in one hand (2-buttons footswitch in the bottom of the cab), gig bag in my back, and still having one free hand to open the doors . 5 minutes and I'm up and running.

I think the Katana 50w sounds better playing in a band than alone at home, and I prefer it over the Katana 100w because it was lighter and smaller to move in the house (and get in/out of the car).

Comment

Working...
                              X