Wangs amps (boutique amps from China)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wangs amps (boutique amps from China)

Has anyone heard of Wangs amps? It's an amp company from China and they are built by their small family-run company of about 15 employees. All the amps are made by hand with a lot of care basically but the price tags are attractive!

So I got my HD-15 amp a while ago and I've been enjoying the amp quite a bit. The clean/crunch channel is supposedly based on a Bogner Shive type sound and the drive channel on a Soldano. So the clean channel is nice and bright and with the crunch switch you can push it up to british rock gain levels, quite cool! The drive channel has a very fat distortion character, quite unique! This is also my only amp currently that has 6V6 power tubes. I love my EL84 amps but these 6V6 tubes seem to work well with low-wattage amps also.

Eventhough this is the most high-gain amp from Wangs, it's not a super tight and aggressive amp by default. With a boost it sure gets a lot tighter. In a way this amp kinda reminds me of an 'American' sounding Orange. So like a blend between a Mesa and an Orange in a way. Great for rock and doom stuff. That's what makes the amp sound so cool and unique though. I can't wait to try my mud-killer pedal through it to be honest! Should be great!

The Wangs 2204 amps also look really cool, it's basically a 50w JCM800 clone. I really want to have one of those as I've come to really love my Marshall SC20H Studio JCM800. Has anyone ever tried one of these amps? Just curious about your thoughts...

Of course I made a little demo/review of the HD-15. Just to talk about the features a bit and demonstrate some sounds:

I'd love to know your thoughts! And since it's such a boutique company it would be cool to hear if anyone else here has any experience with these amps...
    Last edited by Guitarjon; 09-16-2020, 06:50 AM.
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Video isnt working, but then again no one wants to see you playing with your wangs. Could be my puter not letting the vid play too.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

vid doesnt work here either

Comment

Nothing like whipping out your wang at the start of a jam session . . .
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My Wang takes to a fuzzbox very nicely

Comment

Wang and big muff seems like a natural fit.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this but my Wang loves to drive the bottom end

Comment

Wangs and Hotone should merge.

Comment

The wangcaster through the Browneye OD pedal into the Wangs amp......its like a wet dream for the adolescent sense of humour.

Comment

They appear to be made by Biyang which IMHO makes nice stuff for the money. That 2204 looks like a nice straightforward oldschool design inside but I wish it looked more like a Marshall instead of an Egnater on the outside, yuck. Also I see conflicting specs, some say EL84's and others saying EL34's, hopefully they are EL34. Either way pretty cool but I'm not on the market for any amps anytime in the near or distant future I already have my old school Marshall fix.

Comment

That's cool and all, but can you play Hendrix's "Little Wang" on it?

Comment

"Two balls! What is that? It looks just like an enormous..."
                        "Wang! Pay attention!"
                        "I was distracted by that giant flying..."

Comment

This tech says the tube sockets are of poor quality. Otherwise, he doesn't object to the build quality of the other components.
                          This amp was shipped to D-lab with a unique problem. Output tubes running hot, distorted output. A very nicely built amp, super nice eyelet board, excellent ...

Part 2 of the Wangs Amp repair. The following is complete, All new sockets, Micalex and Marshall type, Chassis mount Bias adjust plus test point for ease of ...

Comment

Lol! Sorry about that guys... For some reason I didn't get any notifications about your replies. I fixed the link.... I hope!
                            Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
                            OwnHammer.com

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191009164851.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	6018458

Comment

Working...
                              X