banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did the "oversized" 1/2 stack guitar speaker cabinet become popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the "oversized" 1/2 stack guitar speaker cabinet become popular?

Just looking into speaker cabs and interested in the 'oversized' style cab. Just wondering when these first came about? I'm guessing orange amps? They seem to have that oversized look?
    The reason I'm thinking about this besides the sound factor, is that they seem kinda modern looking too?
    Does anyone have experience with these cabs and what are they like to lug around?
    Any thoughts?

i used to be in a band that used 2 orange rockerverb 100 full stacks...those 4x12s sounded incredible but were a ****ing nightmare to load in/out. we rented marshall 4x12 in europe once and they were like half the weight with wheels! well worth the tone difference on our backs!
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
      i used to be in a band that used 2 orange rockerverb 100 full stacks...those 4x12s sounded incredible but were a ****ing nightmare to load in/out. we rented marshall 4x12 in europe once and they were like half the weight with wheels! well worth the tone difference on our backs!
      So you would go the Marshall over the Orange given the option?

Comment

Originally posted by Techy Beccy View Post

So you would go the Marshall over the Orange given the option?
        it all depends on you...the oranges sounded a lot better, but loading 4 80lb 4x12s in and out every night got real old real quick. so my ears preferred the orange but my body preferred the marshalls.
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Ampeg had a tall 4x12 (called the B-42X) whenever the Jupiter came out. Late ‘60s, I think. The head was kind of a proto-V-2. The cab size is in between a normal “square” 4x12 and an SVT cab. It has a small rectangular port between each vertical pair of speakers. It’s sized about like an SVT 6x10 cab today (but a little wider and shallower). I am fortunate enough to own one, with the original metal dust capped speakers. Wish I had the matching Jupiter!

Ampeg had a reputation for making grossly overbuilt equipment that was relatively heavy. But the B-42X is actually very reasonably weighted. The cab is built as toughly as the other Ampegs of that era, but the speakers are quite light:

I also have an Ampeg cab of the same era and dimensions, but with two 15s. Bass cab, matching the B-25B amp. THAT one is a damned beast. Heavy as hell for its relatively small size.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-11-2020, 12:16 AM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Are Orange 412s really bigger than a 1960b? They look about the same to me,,,,,,I think it's more the weight of four v30 vs four t75, and the Orange might be thicker heavier lumber like a Mesa 412 (of either size, they have both OS and traditional-size and the weight difference isn't much at all)

More internal space seems to take away some mid-punch and add sonic spread, but that effect diminishes as you create more internal pressure (if you have an amp with some power).

Comment

Originally posted by Techy Beccy View Post
              Just looking into speaker cabs and interested in the 'oversized' style cab. Just wondering when these first came about? I'm guessing orange amps? They seem to have that oversized look?
              The reason I'm thinking about this besides the sound factor, is that they seem kinda modern looking too?
              Does anyone have experience with these cabs and what are they like to lug around?
              Any thoughts?
              It's been very popular now for at least 15 years (at least).

I think, it might have started with the after-market booteek brands.
              Brands like Avatar, Emperor, Port City <3 Electric USA, Stone Age, DNA, Zilla, Dynamo, Ear Candy, BuzzBomb and, and, and . . .

I think, the 1st major brand to see the potential of oversized cabs, especially, 2X12's was, Randall, Mesa, Genz Benz (i have their ported 2X12 g-flex) & Bogner.
              Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

My ported 2X12 Genz Benz ''out perform'' my 2X12 Orange cab, with projection, precieved size/fullness (sound more like a 4X12 than the Orange ever will), mush more focused low punch & zero shill top end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Genz Benz 2x12 ported.jpeg
Views:	556
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	6016028

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post

it all depends on you...the oranges sounded a lot better, but loading 4 80lb 4x12s in and out every night got real old real quick. so my ears preferred the orange but my body preferred the marshalls.
                  Must be a b!tch to be a Sunn O))), Sleep, or Jucifer roadie

Name:	SLEEP WALL QyGF8g.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	6016030

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                    My ported 2X12 Genz Benz ''out perform'' my 2X12 Orange cab, with projection, precieved size/fullness (sound more like a 4X12 than the Orange ever will), mush more focused low punch & zero shill top end.

Name:	Genz Benz 2x12 ported.jpeg
Views:	556
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	6016028
                    Those are badass cabinets.

I used to have an oversized Avatar 2x12. It was the Vintage S&P style. Great cabinet and was surprisingly easy to move around even with 2 Celestion Classic Lead 80's in it.

Comment

I learned about oversized from Mesa, but I didn’t really know about Orange until the reintroduction in the 2000’s.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        Ampeg had a tall 4x12 (called the B-42X) whenever the Jupiter came out. Late ‘60s, I think. The head was kind of a proto-V-2. The cab size is in between a normal “square” 4x12 and an SVT cab. It has a small rectangular port between each vertical pair of speakers. It’s sized about like an SVT 6x10 cab today (but a little wider and shallower). I am fortunate enough to own one, with the original metal dust capped speakers. Wish I had the matching Jupiter!

Ampeg had a reputation for making grossly overbuilt equipment that was relatively heavy. But the B-42X is actually very reasonably weighted. The cab is built as toughly as the other Ampegs of that era, but the speakers are quite light:

I also have an Ampeg cab of the same era and dimensions, but with two 15s. Bass cab, matching the B-25B amp. THAT one is a damned beast. Heavy as hell for its relatively small size.
                        Got any photo of these amps and cabs - very curious!

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          Are Orange 412s really bigger than a 1960b? They look about the same to me,,,,,,I think it's more the weight of four v30 vs four t75, and the Orange might be thicker heavier lumber like a Mesa 412 (of either size, they have both OS and traditional-size and the weight difference isn't much at all)

More internal space seems to take away some mid-punch and add sonic spread, but that effect diminishes as you create more internal pressure (if you have an amp with some power).
                          Yeah, I'm not sure but from what I've seen most of the stuff made in China is pretty crappy - but having said that they seem lighter in weight and still sound good.. I've seen some of those Orange 1x12 cabs and they are like cardboard inside.. I have a crappy Vox cab like that too. On the plus side I didn't pay much more that what the speaker would cost to buy on it's own!
                          Me and my brother inherited our Dad's interest in speakers.. and some of the stuff from the 70's seemed quite crappy at the time - but they always sounded fairly decent/good. I'm not talking about top of the range audiophile speakers. Just your pioneers, technics, ect

I've been considering getting cabinet custom made! The thing is they are a little bit expensive and they're made from pine from what I remember - so heavy and solid! I got a pedal board madeby the guy that makes the cabs, and its like a piece of furniture! I dont gig, but it's not something I'd like to carry much!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Those are badass cabinets.

I used to have an oversized Avatar 2x12. It was the Vintage S&P style. Great cabinet and was surprisingly easy to move around even with 2 Celestion Classic Lead 80's in it.
                            I think Ive seen those Avatar cabs and liked them... I will look them up again!
                            I haven't seen these in the picture! They're ugly as hell!
                            Where did you get it and how much was it!? - Its a guitar cab not bass cab right?

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              I learned about oversized from Mesa, but I didn’t really know about Orange until the reintroduction in the 2000’s.
                              Yeah, Mesa is the Royals Royce of Amps and cabs!

Comment

Working...
                              X