banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did the "oversized" 1/2 stack guitar speaker cabinet become popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Mesa might have started it...I remember the oversized cabs in their catalogs from the early 90s, at least. They made them with diamondplate, too, so they weren't exactly light.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Techy Beccy View Post

I think Ive seen those Avatar cabs and liked them... I will look them up again!
      I haven't seen these in the picture! They're ugly as hell!
      Where did you get it and how much was it!? - Its a guitar cab not bass cab right?
      I got it straight from Avatar Speakers. They are direct sell. Mine was a scratch and dent purchase so it was cheaper than the normal price and honestly can't remember what I paid. It was quite a while ago. I've seen Bogner cabinets with the same design.

Comment

Originally posted by Techy Beccy View Post

Got any photo of these amps and cabs - very curious!
        No. I stated the models, so you can do an Internet search.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'd go with a Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cab. If you're worried about size and weight, they make a new compact model as well. The standard sized 2x12's are priced exactly the same new as an Orange 2x12, but a much better cab in my opinion. Orange sounds too dark for my liking. Also, my Mesa has V30's made in England where my buddies Orange came loaded with Chinese made V30's

Also,I bought a Crate 4x12 slant cab for $75 and put 2 Eminence Swamp Thangs and 2 Eminence Texas Heat's in an X pattern, and it sounds KILLER and the cab is solid as a tank. I'll hold onto it as long as I can lift it
          Last edited by SZjammin83; 10-05-2020, 11:21 PM.
          "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

Comment

Working...
          X