EVH 2X12 with G12H30: Any Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH 2X12 with G12H30: Any Good?

I'm looking to move in a different direction tonally. EVH 4X12 with G12EVH, Friedman 2x12 with V30s and JCM2000 DSL 100 are what I'm playing these days, and I feel like it's all just giving me stiff upper-midrange glass.

The G12H30 seems like a better speaker choice for beefier, less irritating tones. Given the EVH 2X12 has these, it seems like that would be a no brainer of a cab. But I feel like I see quite a lot of people ****ting on this cabinet. Is there something about this cab that makes it sound bad? Is the H30 not as good a speaker as I thought, should I look more in the direction of the H75 creamback? Unfortunately the G12H seems like the hardest speaker to find in guitar stores, and thus hard to try out in person.

Ampwise I'm looking towards maybe Orange, but that's a whole different story.

The G12H30 is my favorite Celestion with a ceramic magnet. I switched to those after using Vintage 30's for a long time.

I find the G12H30 to be easier on the ears and a more comfortable speaker to play and listen to. Hendrix used them. The Wind Cries Mary is G12H30's.

The Vintage 30 can be annoyingly bright although it's still a great speaker. It's just no longer my first choice.

I think Eric Johnson uses them in a four 12 Marshall cabinet.

Doesn't seem that he actually uses his signature Eminence speaker. At least he never mentions it in Rig Rundowns.

I don't know anything about the EVH cabinet but if Eddie likes it I would assume it's good.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Are you playing alone or in a band setting?
      You may want to consider the Eminence Cannibis Rex, it's got good low end but not super tight. I like the mids, they seem fairly even across the whole bandwidth. The highs were described by Eminence as "smokey". Not sure what that means, but in years that I've had one, they've never sounded strident, just present and natural. Not sure about how easy it is to find a cabinet loaded with them. I bought my speaker and cab separately and assembled it myself.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

VHT makes a nice two 12 cab that's empty, made of fingerjoined mahogany plywood (not particle board) and sounds very good. I bought mine for $220 on ebay.

Do an ebay search for VHT empty speaker cabinet.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Old oranges used g12h30 in some cabs and I bet the evh212 will sound more classic rock than a modern orange cab with v30 or voice of the world speakers. To me v30s are kinda strident but sound good in a mix like everyone says
          The v30 copies from other companies have the benefits of tight but aggressive bass, good mids, and not too much treble, without sounding as in your face. If you're going for more modern tones maybe you would like the v30 variations from competitors to just take the broken glass thing out cuz I hear less of that from the competition copies in every demo I've ever heard. The creamback also sounds like a good way to split the difference between modern and classic tones.
          2 g12h30 is 60w power handling so you could really push them on the other hand that's not a lot of power handling and if you're running a 50W amp you will probably have speaker breakup and lot of compression so think about that if you run lots of delays and like crystal clear dynamic repeats and junk

Comment

I personally like both the cab and those speakers. Had my PRS Archon head on one and it killed with that cab. I had a Chinese H 30 that came stock in my Tweaker cab but swapped it for a old 1990's 75 I had on hand. Loved the tone but was running several 50 watt heads at that time and knew I was going to smoke the H30 eventually. On the V 30 variants I am a huge fan of the WGS Retro 30's.
            This is playing my Kiesel with a Perpetual Burn through my PRS MT 15 into a Blackstar 1/12 loaded with a Retro 30 and nothing but a little verb in the loop.
            Last edited by Ascension; 09-17-2020, 08:57 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The EVH cabs sounded great when paired with an EVH amp- excellent build quality as well

Comment

Originally posted by Peaj View Post
                I'm looking to move in a different direction tonally. EVH 4X12 with G12EVH, Friedman 2x12 with V30s and JCM2000 DSL 100 are what I'm playing these days, and I feel like it's all just giving me stiff upper-midrange glass.

The G12H30 seems like a better speaker choice for beefier, less irritating tones. Given the EVH 2X12 has these, it seems like that would be a no brainer of a cab. But I feel like I see quite a lot of people ****ting on this cabinet. Is there something about this cab that makes it sound bad? Is the H30 not as good a speaker as I thought, should I look more in the direction of the H75 creamback? Unfortunately the G12H seems like the hardest speaker to find in guitar stores, and thus hard to try out in person.

Ampwise I'm looking towards maybe Orange, but that's a whole different story.
                The Creamback H is not as bright-sounding as the Anniversary H30. The Creamback H is not dark by any means, but it seems to have more of a sizzle to it compared to the more strident H30. It also has more bottom-end and low-mids to back it up. Less breakup too.

I personally don't find H30 Anniversaries warm. IME, it's pretty much the brightest-sounding 12" Celestion. Maybe you guys are comparing 16 ohm V30's and 8 ohm H30's? 8 ohm speakers tend to be darker than their 16 ohm counterparts.

I do like the H30, don't get me wrong, but the Creamback H is slightly warmer and fuller. Overall, more modern-sounding.

Comment

I agree with Rex_Rocker. They're really bright from my experience (I've had 2 at different times). I like it much better mixed with something else. I dropped one in an old Peavey combo and didn't love it at all. Mixed it with V30's in an Orange cab, it sounded really great. Of course, I've heard some call that cab muffled, so maybe it's brightness really works there? I like the EVH 2x12 for whatever reason but I'd mix in something else with it. I like a greenback/v30 cab personally when lower wattage is acceptable.

I have a couple of the Creamback H's and they're fuller and warmer sounding to my ears as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X